• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np231 swap from 1998 aw4 to a 1992 ax15

wayne2300

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to find out if a np231 out of a 98xj with a aw4 is a direct bolt on to a 92 with a ax15. I believe the spline counts are correct but I cannot find anything about the trans output shaft length....If any one has any insight as to weather they are compatible or not, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

sorta kinda...

it'll bolt to the AX15 just fine.
the front driveshaft will bolt up just fine.
the rear driveshaft will not however. The rear driveshaft, output shaft, tail housing, and yoke on 95-down vs 96-up are different and the AW-4 vs AX-15 are different lengths as well. You will need a rear driveshaft of the appropriate length for a 96 or later with the same rear axle as yours and an AX-15. I believe the yoke is a different design as well, so get the 96-up AW4 rear shaft retubed if you can't find a 96-up shaft for an AX15 and the same rear axle as yours.

Yup, if you get one out of a 91-95 with any transmission and any rearend, you can simply bolt it in and use your existing driveshafts etc.

Back