NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Other Technical Forums > Jeep CJs and Wranglers > Wrangler YJ, TJ, and LJ (1987 - 2006)
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Wrangler YJ, TJ, and LJ (1987 - 2006) Technical forum for the Wrangler YJ, TJ, and LJ Unlimited.

Old February 9th, 2019, 21:07
NAXJA Member

Extremely cold natured YJ

I have an 89 wrangler YJ TBI with 2.5 liter 4 cylinder that is hard to start when itís cold. It will fire rather quickly but immediately dies. Sometimes it takes 15 or 20 tries to keep it running. Once it warms up, it runs well. I noticed the electric fuel pump stays running almost constantly when the key is turned to the run position. Should it only run for a few seconds until it pressures up and then kick off? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old February 10th, 2019, 16:47
NAXJA# 2091

Re: 2.5 L TBI 89 cold start issues

Being a 2.5 L TBI, that was part GM stuff and part Chrysler stuff, I would track down some folks familiar with it. I thought at one time they MPI, but they may well have some differences I know noting about. Nick at nickintime on youtube, or here, may know a little about them, as his new REM scanners can now access the 2.5 L, 4 banger ECUs as well as the 4.0.

Maybe the main difference is just one injector??? If so, I could help some.

Oh, and it also sounds like the FPR is bad reading the first post here (or relay is stuck??). Unless the TBI had a lower pressure, and different pump and FPR from the 4.0s ??? I worked on an 84 once and it had an old style mechanical pump that ran off CAM.
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091
Old February 10th, 2019, 16:50
NAXJA# 2091

Re: Extremely cold natured YJ

Since it is temp related I would check the MAP Vacuum line and ends for any weakness/leaking at all.

Check the IAT air temp sensor in the Intake and clean it. Test it for proper resistance at cold temps.

Check the TPS voltage when cold and warmed up. And for sure clean up the sensor ground contacts surfaces!!!
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091
Old February 10th, 2019, 21:52
NAXJA Member

Re: Extremely cold natured YJ

MAP Iím assuming is manifold air pressure? Iíve checked all vacuum lines but Iíll go over everything again just to be sure.

I replaced both the IAT and TPS early on in the troubleshooting but it didnít change anything.