• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Telluride questions

Supertrapped

NAXJA Forum User
Me and a few other jeeps are going to be making a trip to Telluride probably in Fall season hopefully. I just have a few questions for those that have been there.

Gonna hit Alta, and Black Bear Pass, and Imogene, etc. Camp out. Fishin. Get our drink on. The usual.

1. Can we camp anywhere, or does it have to be in Telluride camping sections only? I would personally like to camp out in the mountians, but it wouldn't be that big of a deal I guess.

2. Never been there. So, how are the passes? Difficult?

3. Telluride overall a pretty fun place?

4. Any other things I need to know?

Thanks from a noobie :)

Don't know about camping out there but check the Forest Service page, http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/sanjuan/. Some passes are difficult up there while the majority are easy. This site is really good, http://www.narrowgauge.org/4x4/html/blkbear.html. Telluride sucks in my opinion, too many uptight rich bastages.. They have some nice places to eat but are pricey, the skatepark is newly built and awesome.

There is a good thread on CO4x4 talking about these trails, http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=94460

Telluride is an interesting town. I don't know about camping near town b/c I prefer to be further away. Camping in that general area wont be an issue. I could spend all summer down there off 550. Can't help with the Passes your interested in as there aren't big fish up there. There's some cool art places in Telluride if that's your bag. You can do the tourist thang and take the gondolla up to the mountain village. Or like Kemo said...you can try and rub elbows with the rich folk. Look for the lady on the streets of Telluride selling burritos out of a cart. SUPER GOOD. The weather might be an issue depending on what time in fall you're going.

I'd hit it again for a fat burrito and more of those fine a$$ bows in the San Miguel.

-river

Telluride used to have a town park that one could camp in. Last time I was there was 18 years ago, so who knows.

Most of the area is national forest, so you camp wherever, as long as you clean up after. There is a nice BLM campground between Lake City and Cinnamon Pass. The only trail that is technical in the area is Poughkeepsie Gulch. If you don't like heights, all the trails are challenges.

If you are there in the fall, be aware it's hunting season.

Fred

Fred said:
Telluride used to have a town park that one could camp in. Last time I was there was 18 years ago, so who knows.

Most of the area is national forest, so you camp wherever, as long as you clean up after. There is a nice BLM campground between Lake City and Cinnamon Pass. The only trail that is technical in the area is Poughkeepsie Gulch. If you don't like heights, all the trails are challenges.

If you are there in the fall, be aware it's hunting season.

Fred
The camping at the town park was still there 2 years ago for sure. Not a bad spot.

As mentioned Telluride proper caters more to the wealthy tourists than the wandering Jeeper, but a fun town to visit and check out. Spent 4 days in the area a couple of years ago, prior to that it was a week of wheeling when we pulled the first NAXJA run in 99. We based out of Ouray for that run and explored most of the local trails and passes. Ouray has more camping options and is over the mtn from Tellluride, you could base camp out of Ouray and run Black Bear and Imogene the same day or split it up with an overnighter in Telluride.
Many great trail rides, lots of scenery http://www.narrowgauge.org/4x4/html/4X4.html but also keep in mind that all these passes can get significant (1' or more) snowfall from late summer and fall storms so be prepared for "insta-winter" conditions at higher elevations.

Beautiful country, hope to make it back there soon............

Fred said:
CO fest is in Silverton this year. :)

Fred

I only spent an afternoon there........after the 550 was closed by a rockslide. CO Fest.........hmmmm, gotta check the calendar.

Went last summer and camped in Ouray. Spent an afternoon wnadering around Telluride. We are going back the end of June. My advice follows XJEEPER's...Stay in (or around) Ouray and visit Telluride for an afternoon.

Ouray is more centrally located for trails and you can explore Silverton, Ouray and Telluride from there.

Glen

If you like high mountain, above treeline camping, there is an awesome place off of BlackBear. It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. BlackBear and Imogene can both be run by a stocker.

If you are interested, I can email you some pix and a map.

Back