• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sudden Power loss at highway speeds

Info about the Jeep: 1996 Jeep cherokee 5 spd

After my jeep warms up and I have been on the freeway for about 30 minutes my speedometer starts to go crazy and will move from 65 mph to 75mph sporadically even though my speed does not change.

After another 15-30 mins I will all of a sudden loose power until I pull the transmission into neutral which then starts the motor back up. All of the accessories stay powered and the Tach still reads the correct RPMs. The Odometer still reads the correct mileage even while the speedometer is going haywire.

I believe it is a sensor but not sure which one.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

I had almost the same problem. Did you figure it out?
Mine (96 Country) had been sitting for 7 hours. I started it up to go home and noticed the speedometer was going crazy. It is wierd that the speedo would give too high of a speed readout. What could make the speedometer read 50mph when I am only going 10. Then in second gear (this happened twice) when I forgot to shift and got up to 3000RPM the XJ started bucking violently. its an AW4. What did you end up doing to yours?

Back