• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for a vehicle with a wide D44 Rear Axle

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
Over the years my XJ has evolved. I am running D44's front and rear. The front is a full width axle, while the rear is a normal width XJ D44 running a 2" spacer on each side.

This puts a large strain on the axles and I set out to reduce it. I have a clean D44 housing and I was going to widen it 6 inches to better match the front. The issue is getting replacement axles. I really don't need the super high strength ($$$$) Chromo axles. The standard grade would suffice. The question is... does anybody know of a standard application vehicle that has a wider track? I could match my width to that track or cut down the axles a bit if necessary and could get the axles for probably $175 a piece, or way less from a junk yard, instead of $300+ a piece.

I actually scored an empty D44 housing and I am going to widen it. I also found chromo axles that are extra long so you can cut them to length.

I am looking for a D44 carrier for 4.56's with spider gears if anybody has one from an upgrade.

Xterra Offroads and Titans used a 44 rear axle. Xterra's is the same width as a JK, Titan is wider. Should be same guts as a JK 44, I believe Dana called it a "44 Super". Both axles have disc brakes and BIG axle shafts, 6 lug stock though. 6 on 4.5 for the Xterra I believe.

Yeah, yeah, thread necro...

--Matt

I have a couple of SJ wide-track axles that are out.
One from a '74 J-10, one from a '81 Cherokee, and a set from a '79 Wagoneer, reg track. (But those are 2.72 gears lol)
Would you like me to measure them?
E

Thanks anyway. I already started widening mine.

Back