• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Am i screwed??????

Jeep9717

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of doing a hack and tap on my xj and while i was tapping(threading) the hole, the tap snapped in half and broke off inside the hole. Im am at a loss of ideas on what to do. There is no way in hell i am getting the broken off piece out of there...its way to tight. Any ideas????

Don't tap with a drill. I'd say your screwed. If you wanna keep the hack and tap get a new tail shaft and re do it. or doner TC, or get HD SYE

if by chance you do get it out , slow and easy is the key, go in a turn and bring it back out , go in a turn and bring it back out . and so on . dont use a cheap tap either . the lowes. home depot shit is just that . find a snappy or mac tap . and use plent of cutting lube . IF YOU GET IT OUT !!!good luck my brother.

skydizzle said:
get a set of reverse thread easy outs and it should come out.

Won't work, taps are hardened and you will have an extremely hard time drilling one deep enough for an easy out.

Try to work out the remains of the tap with a small punch or chisel. Wear safety glasses also.

Time to replace the rear mainshaft?

Too bad you're not closer...I think I've still got two of 'em but shipping is prohibitive.

They make tap extractors. Because this type of thing happens all the time.

However, I'd send back your hack 'n crap SYE and order a HD one. The price difference it worth it when you break the output shaft into a couple peices.

xjeepaholik said:
if by chance you do get it out , slow and easy is the key, go in a turn and bring it back out , go in a turn and bring it back out . and so on . dont use a cheap tap either . the lowes. home depot shit is just that . find a snappy or mac tap . and use plent of cutting lube . IF YOU GET IT OUT !!!good luck my brother.

x50 ! ! !

ALWAYS use cutting lube, oil, tranny fluid (SOMETHING, ANYTHING!) and back the tap back out to clear the cut debris and allow the lube to seep in more.

DirtyMJ said:
They make tap extractors. Because this type of thing happens all the time.

However, I'd send back your hack 'n crap SYE and order a HD one. The price difference it worth it when you break the output shaft into a couple peices.

Did ya all ever think maybe he is running a 242??? No HD for them....... and just FYI TW is not HD....... same thing as a HnT

A tap has straight indented sides. He should be able to get a set of long nose needle nose pliers or snap ring pliers into opposite sides of the recessed tap area to grab the tap with and turn it back out.

Also be sure and use some penetrating lube, easyout lube in it and let set for an hour first.

And use good pliers or snap ring pliers (like drop forged steel), not that cheap cast stuff, it will snap off for sure.

Ecomike said:
A tap has straight indented sides. He should be able to get a set of long nose needle nose pliers or snap ring pliers into opposite sides of the recessed tap area to grab the tap with and turn it back out.

Also be sure and use some penetrating lube, easyout lube in it and let set for an hour first.

And use good pliers or snap ring pliers (like drop forged steel), not that cheap cast stuff, it will snap off for sure.

It broke for a reason....because it was too tight of a fit. There is no way a set of needle nose pliers will work. I think what happened is that i "hacked", drilled and started to tap the hole when the tailshaft was still hot. After taking my time tapping the hole, it started to cool down and shrink around the tap causing it to tighten and seize. I ordered a set of tap extractors so hopefully that will work. The driveshaft is on there now with a couple clamps around the slipjoint of the shaft so it only compresses about 1/8" so the drive shaft doesnt fall off of the tailshaft. Pretty ghetto solution if you ask me but its going to have to work until the extractors get here.

Jeep9717 said:
The driveshaft is on there now with a couple clamps around the slipjoint of the shaft so it only compresses about 1/8" so the drive shaft doesnt fall off of the tailshaft. Pretty ghetto solution if you ask me but its going to have to work until the extractors get here.
What?? wait, your not driving it right

I thought i was going to have to but the girlfriend is going to let me use her car to get to work, although i did drive it to the hardware store earlier today and worked like a champ. The way i figure it, as long as the splines on the RE part stays tight on the splines from the output shaft, it should be alright for a couple of quick trips. Flame away!!!

Back