• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Left hand drill bit, need brand recommendations?

Maybe try the Grabit screw extractors.

https://www.amazon.com/Alden-8440P-Grabit-Damaged-Extractor/dp/B001A4CWHO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1548776041&sr=8-5&keywords=grabit+extractor

I have had better luck with those than with any other type. Left hand drill bit on one end, short extractor on the other end. But better luck still doesn't mean I haven't managed to break them off in the broken bolt.

Also note, I see there are a number of cheaper versions now on the market. This is one of those places where I don't think I would try to go cheaper.

I have to ask why you think a left-hand drill is necessary. Can you link to any presentations about the benefits of the left-hand drill?

Left hand drills are not necessary, but they can be faster.

When drilling out a busted fastener, with a standard twist drill one might need to step in 1/64 increments until they can pick out the spiral out of the threads of what's left of a fastener. A left hand drill has a tendency to walk what's left of the fastener out a bit quicker since its already biting in a direction that is to back out the fastener.

As a penetrate to help with backing threads out I have come to swear by Super Slick Slick Stuff.

Left hand drill bit will not do a darn bit of good on anything other than a bolt that broke due to over tightening. Once it breaks there's no pressure on the threads.

Places it WONT work...

Rusted
Crossthreaded
Bottomed out in the hole
Rounded head off

Whatever you do, do not get "OEM Tools" brand because they break instantly. Its the typical brand at Auto stores by me in the red package. I have had some good luck with speed-outs and now they make several varieties too. IMO worth the ~$20 for the set.

Back