• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was done to YOUR rig(XJ/MJ) today MECHANICALY????

Oh it still looks bad just not quite as bad 😂

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Mines not starting

Thought it was the battery so I trickle charger it. Got it to start but shuts right off unless I give it gas. Back on the trickle charger... optima really gone or cps?

Check the cranking battery voltage while cranking with a DVM.

Check the fuel pressure.

Check the fuel injectors for clicking while cranking or with a Noid light.

Check for spark while cranking.

2001XJ ????

Overnight trickle charge and it starts, runs, and drives but doesn’t want to idle... if I give it gas it stays running but leaving it on it’s own it stalls

Overnight trickle charge and it starts, runs, and drives but doesn’t want to idle... if I give it gas it stays running but leaving it on it’s own it stalls

OBD-II scan for pending codes? They do not set off a CEL, but if there is one it may help.

Check the battery voltage at idle and 2000 rpm. Should be about 14.7 Volts for both (this tests the alternator and battery..). Check the Battery cable and post contacts visually and with a test meter.

TPS may have noisy worn spot at idle. Have you checked the spark plugs, plug gap, oil or carbon on any?

O2 sensor heater in the sensor or wires or the sensor may be going bad. You can back probe them and check to see if it is switching to open loop, back and forth from being too cold (the O2 heater keeps it hot at idle). Exh Manifold leak?

I had a Renix that idle like shit, shook, and ran fine at higher rpms and drove.

Cyl 3 & 4 had 40 psi compression. Head gasket was leaking between cylinders.

Does not sound like a CPS yet. IAC may carbon fouled in the throttle body.

Battery was gone. Optima from 2011.

Replaced it and all good now

It happens. I had a battery take a charge, start the car, and next time minutes later the battery had ZERO volts. DOA. They can die that fast. Had one blow up in 70's too while cranking.

Pulled the tcase and tore it down for a rebuild. Going back together today gotta swing by the parts store and use their pilot bearing puller. There are marks on the inside of the case where the chain was dragging on it.

It actually looks like the case was rebuilt at somepoint but the chain wasnt replaced.

fa9edf81297d8c1e79cbe9674ca8d8c4.jpg

https://youtu.be/u8q00vKCbxk

Dragging? What a Drag. LOL

I found what I hope is last Wagoneer rain leak. Took a huge down pour to get any this time, Seems the Antenna grommet is loose and water gets on it and runs in. Still need the clean and seal a rust hole in the fire wall that I think leads the AC box, or to the floor, its under the coolant bottle, 87 Renix

Getting really tired of fixing death wobble just for it to pop back up

Getting really tired of fixing death wobble just for it to pop back up

I have never had it return on any of my 5 rigs, but those parts are all stock on mine. No lifts. But I have always replaced everything but ball joints that looked or felt iffy, or that was cheap, like under $50.

Its been decades since I got over 3-4 years out of car battery. And I use Duralast gold.

Installed WJ seats. Going back to get the matching rears next week.
a34cb5507f2b47e405d069c62377a034.jpg

Installed WJ seats. Going back to get the matching rears next week.
a34cb5507f2b47e405d069c62377a034.jpg

Nice.

How much did they set you back?

150 for front and back.

Put Rusty's motor mounts in, replaced my front windshield washer pump and replaced the fan clutch. The motor mount i put in the driver's side 5 months amd 8000 miles ago was already showing signs of tearing. Passenger mount looked ok for it's age.

71918b399b05e0ca95e40fb25b6fb8be.jpg

844bf80fe4242fafae66feab6e174028.jpg

2154ffdffe7609a772461d888c849698.jpg

Changed the oil. Again. Turns out my 200,000 mile engine doesnt like synthetic. Went wheeling this weekend and people behind me reported slight oil smoke. Whoops. So back to conventional until it blows up.

Scooped up some wing windows and a vacuum canister from a parts Jeep today. Vacuum canister is going on the shelf as a spare part and at least the wing window is going on the driver's side. NOt sure what I'll be able to use from the passenger side unit to refresh the driver's side unit.

Anyone know where to get parts for the wing windows? The Passneger side one I got is still tight but could use new seals and the driver's side one needs an overhaul.

10b3012c8f2d718da8c2153ddeaede45.jpg

found some ACOS spacers and bought them to match the shackle relo kit I have.

Back