• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

better sound out of rear sound bar?

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

I've noticed, since upgrading the stereo in my XJ, that the bass response that I hear from the rear speakers is much less than that from the fronts. The fronts sound pretty good even though I keep forgetting to dynamat the doors every time I have the panels off, but the ones in the soundbar sound tinny and weak, at least from the front seat. My setup:

JVC Arsenal KD-AHD75BT head unit
Polk DXi 650s speakers front and rear (only minor trimming with a razor knife required to fit these in the sound bar)
Stock wiring (except for repairing the door jamb wiring) no amp (that may change, but not now)

I'm wondering if this is because the sound bar doesn't really seal against the (flexible) headliner. Any thoughts how to address this? Was thinking of maybe taking some kind of material and making a back for the soundbar, alternately maybe just putting some polyfill in there. Has anyone tried either approach and did it work?

I'm definitely considering adding an amp and a sub at some point, but even so, it'll sound better if I get all the sound that I should out of the speakers that I already have...

FWIW, I had a set of Pioneers in the soundbar in my XJ and I thought they sounded very good; it didn't sound weak at all.

I'm in the process of installing a rear sound bar this week and am using component speakers with external tweeters. I will let you know what my results are once it's all hooked up and see if I have any issue with it not being a "sealed area".

Back