• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TwoWheelTalk

in4aride

NAXJA Forum User
figured there are enough of us in the chapter that ride to get a thread going about gear, the bikes, and maybe getting together for some rides. Plus we can quit clogging up the other threads. Not necessarily intended to do away with any "build" threads, just a place to do the BS and questions and pics and all that jazz where it is a little more organized. So all you 2wheelers (or atv guys) post up your stuff in here :thumbup:

So here's my new to me 02 wr250f.
image_zps6ab13b5f.jpg

Yosh pipe, new top end, and fresh rebuild on forks. Got it for a song and dance (which I sucked at) lights work but will likely swap the front out for dual LED pods from Olympus. I'll leave the rear, and just add some dot tires and get this sucker plated. Buddy has a quick horn and mirror setup to toss on for inspection too.

Was looking at the tech7 boots by alpine star. What's everyone else rocking?

Motorcycles are the devil and all who ride them are destined for pain and misery......

..... Where do I sign up? :D

Here is the current family:

My son's Yamaha PW-50, my wife's 2008 Honda Shadow 750 Spirit, and my 2011 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero

My son got his bike last July for his 5th birthday and other than a pretty serious crash after catching some air he was doing great. The crash resulted in a broken Start/Run/Stop switch that I have on order now. I need to get a replacement throttle limit screw for it. When we first got the bike it was running poorly and that kept the power/speed down. After having the engine rebuilt and carb/fuel system gone through it runs like a raped ape, hence the catching of major air and resulting crash. The plan is to get him out on it as much as possible this summer and then probably replace it with a bit bigger one next summer. He is already outgrowing the bike physically, so I need his skill level to catch up.

We got the wife's bike in August last year and she only put a whopping 600 miles on it. This summer I'm going to make the effort to get her out as much as possible, even if it means following with the kid in the car. I'm also working on building some custom passenger pegs for my bike so that my son can ride with me. Either way the goal is to put some good miles on her bike so it can be determined if she'll outgrow or it keep it. I think she'll want something a tad bigger (thinking Vulcan 900) once she gets her skill/confidence up. If she's happy with the Shadow then we'll start adding farkles to it in order to make it a better and more personalized bike.

I got my Vulcan around July/August last year as well. I had a few dual sports but with all my friends riding big HD Ultra-Classics and the like I was spending all my time on the pavement. We were also doing 2-300 mile day trips quite regularly so I wanted something that could eat the miles. I absolutely love the big Vulcan as a long distance, all day ride. I do however want something more fun and sporty for around town and canyon carving. I also want to make another go at trail riding and dual sporting. The plan is to steal/borrow my father-in-law's Yamaha TTR-225 as much as possible this summer so that I can get out on the dirt and learn. I also want to snag up a cheap Sportster to make into a scrambler/café bike.

For the sporty I want to basically combine these two bikes into 1, plus give it a bit of a flat-track/XR-750/XR1200X look.

Combine these:

a660c955e1ae0b5d6a7c20f4fb84052a.jpg

And add a bit of these:
harley-davidson-xr-750-09.jpg

2011-Harley-Davidson-XR1200X.jpg

Last edited:
Anybody here ride enough to be interested in a Tag game? Basically whoever starts it takes a pic of their bike somewhere within the boundaries (entire state, along the front range, etc) and gives a few clues to help others figure out where it is. Then whoever gets there and posts the pic of their bike there first gets credit for the Grab and can set the next Tag. It then continues from there.

lol fair enough. I dunno howmuch street riding as far as long trips mine will see, ill likely load it up then ride the area I want

I have thought about starting a trail tag game where you post up a pic at a trail head and then others have to guess and find it, hopefully then running said trail. Maybe leave a little prize or something on the trail for the next group to find. I just didn't think enough people on here would participate.

kinda like the gps think people do? seems pretty chill. I don't know if you would get enough just bikes, why I said be cool if the jeeps did it too. Maybe show each other some different trails we would otherwise ignore ya know what I mean?

Good thing so many projects in here :rolleyes: might as well delete the thread. No one gonna see it in here.

I'm a pretty avid two wheeler. Up until about 3 weeks ago I had six bikes in my stable. Just have my 450X, the wife's KE100, and the yard bikes.

However if my wife doesn't start riding her KE100 more I'm stealing it to bump around town on and getting her an XR or something.

7008_1420302408222188_1325552746_n.jpg

That crf is hawt. I have such a soft spot for honders.

I'll be going today and trading out the weatherby for a ttr for the lady. Just so happens to be a small enough bike for her to fit, and guy wants something I'm getting rid of. I dig it.

I too dig the CRF, although I tend to go for Green or Orange the Honda's are definitely good bikes.

Well the lady's ttr is being torn down. Gonna get it fixed up (guy bought all shit to rebuild top end and didn't know what to do) and gonna rebuild forks as well as an exhaust. Just gonna run it for a few months til she is confident enough to spend the money on a newer ttr125 or crf150. I hope she gets her confidence back quick as I really want her to have something better for the moab trip than the crap 01 ttr. (Can't really complain, I got the ttr and cash for a 500$ gun)
Any thoughts in just doing the yz85 swap instead of rebuilding stock stuff??

There are write ups. Here's one from ChickenHauler over @ thumpertalk;

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/360279-ttr-yz-fork-swap-how-to/

Rebuilding the stock stuff is easy. They're conventional forks. Just need a vise and a home made seal tool made from the correct diameter PVC. Does it need a rear shock seal as well? I could do all the work you're talking about. I don't know if you've sourced the work or not already. What parts do you have for the top end? Do you know if the cylinder head is good? I forget if those are sleeved or not. Cylinder heads are cheap for them though if not. Won't know until you tear into it.

I have time this next week. I'm working on a Yamaha Zuma right now for a lady that wants to sell it. I could definitely work your ttr into my schedule. I'll do it for 60% of what a shop quotes you.

Let me know if I can help. Sure could use the scratch.

Oh ya I know all about the write ups. Just didn't know if there was any experience with it here.
Bikes already getting worked on in sprigs. Thanks though.

I've done fork swaps on other bikes, not specifically the YZ to TTR though. Looks as though the height of the YZ forks work pretty well. It's just finding the donor for a decent price. Good luck. Hey - when you go to sell that TTR let me know. I'm looking for another yard bike.

Back