• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water pump exploded, belt threw all the pulleys. How do I run a new belt?

Plays For Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
I knew the pump was on it way out, it was making funny noises and I was running a tad hot.

The weep hole was leaking tiny bit of coolant so I topped her off and went to pick up a new pump and coolant to do a complete flush.

Ran a tad hot for the trip to the auto store when the RPMs were below 2k. No higher than 210. Then waiting for a light to turn green I guess the pump seized. I went to make my left hand turn and had no power steering, temp was in the red, no volts on the dash, generally a bad scene.

I promptly pulled over and popped the hood. Belt jumped the puleys and was tangled in the fan. Water everywhere.

I went and bought a new belt and had the jeep towed home. Problem now is that I have no idea how to run the new serp belt.

96 4DR 4.0.

Diagrahm?

Thanks guys!

With A/C? This is from memory but I think its right.

xj.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

I did the pump, upper and lower rad hoses, thermostat, serp. belt, and pressure release rad cap.

Ended up flushing the entire system several times, there wasnt any blockage, just muddy muddy muddy nasty water. So I flushed it until it was running clear. The bearings in the wp shaft were fried causing the fins inside the pump to all sheer off. Uglyness.

I think the serp belt was the easiest part of whole ordeal.

Back