• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Die grinder vs Dremel

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
I've used a Dremel with reinforced cutting discs to cut through leaf spring eyes and shackles. The problem with the Dremel is that it will get hot if its run too long. It's obviously too small for this type of work. I stopped repeatedly to let it cool. I am thinking that a simple die grinder would be the better way for this now that I have shop air. Is a 26 gal 7 cfm compressor good enough to drive a "good quality" die grinder? The harbor freight air cutoff tool I bought is an air hog, but many cheap air tools are.

4.5" cutting discs are too big for cutting inside the leaf spring eye box. I was thinking along the lines of a straight die grinder with a 1" or 2" disc. I think 4.5" would require at least a 5HP and probably a 7.5HP compressor. For a 4.5" angle grinder I'd need electric, at least until I build a shop.

What would be the needed size? 30-40 cfm from 2 60-80 gallon compressors working in tandem? I am thinking for some of these air tools a home user just needs to scrape by on electric. I once had a 14 cfm 60 gallon compressor and it wasn't exhaustible either.

A die grinder uses about 10 cfm @ 90 psi
unless your compressor can put that out, you will have to wait.
But who wants to use the die grinder nonstop anyway?
Good excuse to grab a beer and let the thing refill.

When I was building my current jeep, all i had was a 1hp 3 gal nailgun compressor.
Yeah, it got a little tedious, but it did the job.

Oh my, I was borrowing my neighbors pancake compressor and impact and using the clamshell puller it couldn't even pull one carrier bearing without needing to recharge at least once. It would take probably 20 minutes to pull the carrier bearings off a 8.25. It was slow and loud. I bought a 7 cfm because it was the largest I could find that would run on 120V. I live in an apartment so rewiring isn't an option. It drives the impact with no problem. Come to think of it my "5HP" 60 gallon was a 10 cfm. My 7 cfm is much quieter. When I get a bigger garage I will look hard at a 20 cfm compressor. I wouldn't mind running a couple of 7 cfm in tandem, they are cheaper and then there's some redundancy. Thanks for the cfm rating.

Thanks. If you look at the Dynabrade spec sheets they list the Maximum SCFM as 28. This was my concern. I am guessing most people use electric tools unless they work at a shop with "unlimited air". Anyone have a 10-20 CFM compressor and can say whether or not they will keep up?

My 3/8" air ratchet lists CFM as 4.5 but if I let it free wheel the tank will drain on my 7.1 CFM compressor. My air ratchet is used in short spurts so it's not really a problem.

For grins I bought a used cheap 6.4 cfm air compressor. The thing is super quiet, but the tank will need to be junked because it has a pin hole. If I plumb my 6.4 and 7.1 together, I found that the cheap HF cutoff tool can run a while before I start running low. The air drills seem to use more air. I'm guessing 18 cfm from a true 5 HP compressor is about what's needed...

Back