• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Carbon prototype

Why??? It can't really be used!

freaking awesome. want to make a skin of my hood? has a Subaru scoop on it. could copy the area between the body lines in the flat area of the hood. then you could prep a hood to screw/glue/rivet your CF part on it. i know a bit on CF but you are a few steps ahead of me.

Let me know when you finished this. I will gladly buy one. I want a skid plate for aero not protection and this seems to fit that agenda perfectly.

I will pay up to $100,000 for it so just let me know :rtm: XD

i am splashing off the outside of the OEM right now (which means the outside of the new part is rough)

i am doing glass fiber for most of it and slap a carbon on the outside for sho.

the mounting 90 bend is tough to do in one piece now. I have to stop short of the bend otherwise you cant demold it.

An Aero one would be a good next step. $100,000 would just about cover it too.

A hoody sounds quite large right now....

Made this prototype, what do you think?
You clearly have made an effort to gain some practical skills. Carbon Fibre isn't a material suitable for skid plates because it shatters on impact. Kevlar is better but also probably not suitable for a steering skid. Kevlar skids are more of a sacrificial abrasion shield, like leather clothing on a motorcyclist.

Making a vented hood is probably the most useful body panel that you could make from composites for an XJ. I wouldn't use carbon fibre, glass fibre is plenty good enough and a lot cheaper for experimentation. Especially when scrapping flawed mould designs.

My first experiments were all awful because I rushed making the moulds and didn't spend enough time paying attention to the finish, split lines and shrinkage but I learned from each failure.

If you have set your heart on carbon fibre, then you could try something smaller like a custom overhead console panel with switches. Or perhaps smaller still, a pair of triangular front door interior panels with angled tweeters. 97-01 tweeter panels are super rare, you could design your own to take a common brand or size of after-market tweeter and sell them.

i am splashing off the outside of the OEM right now (which means the outside of the new part is rough)

i am doing glass fiber for most of it and slap a carbon on the outside for sho.

the mounting 90 bend is tough to do in one piece now. I have to stop short of the bend otherwise you cant demold it.

An Aero one would be a good next step. $100,000 would just about cover it too.

A hoody sounds quite large right now....

Bahaha just let me know when you have a prototype that will bolt up :D I will gladly be your first paying test dummy

I still haven't figured out why you think you can market a "tupperware" product on a 4wd page?

Back