• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quality Budget CB Radio & Antenna

fubar XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I'm at the point where I need a good quality but reasonably priced CB and antenna. Something that won't break the bank ($50-$75), is easy to mount (smaller is better) and a decent antenna to go with it. I'm planning on an overhead or side of trans tunnel mount for the unit, rear bumper mount for the antenna. Any and all input welcome, pics of the CB installed in your cab would be great. Thanks in advance.

p.s. I've searched and seen some pics here and there, but not a lot of talk about price and quality. If I've missed a previous thread discussing it, please link it and then slap me.

I love my uniden but its the 520 not the 510. I was told by a CB guy to pay the extra $10 and get the 520. He said multiple little differences......kind of like 90 to 91 xj (or 88 to 89 whatever) or something like that. Might not be noticable but there were changes.

ya a lot of my buds run the wally world cobra one which is like 35-40 ish - then run to a truck stop and grab coax and a firestick or radio shack will carry coax and a fiberglass ant. which i run - ant and coax was like 40 with the ant mount

You can get a Cobra LTD 29 Classic from Wal Mart for less that $100 and then get a Lil Wilson from a truck stop for around $35. This ant. is a magnet mount but works great. I can talk for about 5 miles with my set up. You can also get the elcheapo Cobra for like $35 at Wal Mart but I would spend the extra money. I got a great deal on a Uniden from eBay. Picked it up for $50 which included shipping. Galaxy, Texas Ranger, Cobra, Uniden are all good solid name brands for radios and any would be a great choice. Just look around and figure in what you want the radio for and what you need it to do. Then pick the one you NEED not Want. Google COBRA and check out their website. It will let you compare their models. Really nice models on there!!!

Buy a cheap CB. I usually find deals on 3-bay for $10 - $20.

You don't need a blingin' cb. It' just going to get destroyed with mud, water, dust, and crap anyway. I've gone through 3 CB's so far. Ain't no way I'm buying an expensive model.

I got the 35 dollar walmart one. It has a PA output too. Install is simple, looks good anywhere in the rig. Ive got it mounted on the tranny hump, and the mic to the right of the headunit. All looks clean. I have a PA speaker mounted under the rig, and have a quick disco for it so I can take it out if im doin hardcore wheelin. I got a 20-some-odd dollar magnet antenna for the few times i wheeled with guys with CBs. I use it more now, and have it mounted on the back of my rear bumper. Reception is decent for the price. But I would def go with the better walmart CB and a real antenna if I do any long distance communication. I just got it for novelty/weekend trip usage.

I really like my new Cobra 18WX ST it has weather sations, dual watch, and scan feature

I have had a Cobra LTD 25 (its ok but a little to bling for me)
I have had a Cobra 19 (it was underpowered and could never hear a thing)

The key feature is to have a decent mic and a good antenna system

I got mine off ebay foy $20 w/s+h. Below are some pics on how I installed it. I ran the wire through all the plastic trim and spliced the power into the stereo. For the antenna I just found a piece of metal (for now) and drilled a hole in the brake light. I got the antenna at flying J for like $25. It has worked pretty good so far, the only problem I have had is that when I turn it on it is always set to channel 9?? (Anybody know why) :guitar:

Last edited:
ok....here are the pics

click image to resize

pecsxj said:
I got mine off ebay foy $20 w/s+h. Below are some pics on how I installed it. I ran the wire through all the plastic trim and spliced the power into the stereo. For the antenna I just found a piece of metal (for now) and drilled a hole in the brake light. I got the antenna at flying J for like $25. :guitar:

Nice! But doesnt the ant need a good ground to the frame/body?

SnagglePuss said:
Nice! But doesnt the ant need a good ground to the frame/body?

It seems to work fine, I have been trying to find a new mount, something that would drill into the body just above the light, but no luck yet.

I picked up a refurbished model Realistic with a Firestik/ mount and 15' wire for $50 from a CB shop.

Check out your yellow pages for a mom & pop CB shop, you know, some old guy that plays with CBs for fun. I literally went in and the guy asked me how much I had and he pulled a box out form under his counter and put together "the kit"

Shit, he even tuned it for free once I had it all mounted up.

pecsxj.........You probably have a switch or button on the unit that will put you on channel 9 (emergency channel) or channel 19 (regular truckers channel). Just look on the face of the unit to see if you see anything like that.

tow2topgun said:
pecsxj.........You probably have a switch or button on the unit that will put you on channel 9 (emergency channel) or channel 19 (regular truckers channel). Just look on the face of the unit to see if you see anything like that.

I have tried all the buttons on the face, nothing worked. thanks for the tip though.

The old chrome faced Cobras that everyone knows and loves were made by Uniden. Now Maxon has bought them and moved manufacture to China. Good luck with those. Do you feel lucky, punk? ;)

What ever you buy, (but especially these new Cobras) take it to a good CB shop and have it checked out and set on frequency. Factory mass production settings usually leave much to be desired. Resist the temptation to have it "Peaked and Tweaked", its illegal and useless (except for the shop's cash register).

Back