• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Narrowed front fascia

Sponge Bob said:
looks dam good. i would leave it also
i wouldnt leave it, you are so damn close to having it right, why stop there?? finish it up.

just my $2 ( inflation )

Looks much better.

Now just reform the fascia to match hoods line and it will be sweet.

Keep up the quailty work that I know you always do. :)

Jeff 98XJ WI said:
BTW, if you notice, there is a small portion of the fascia that doesn't match the crease in the hood. That's from having to cut the hood slice that I welded in at an angle. The only way around that would have been to cut the whole edge off, trim the outer edge of the slice and weld the edge back on. I may have done that if I had thought of it ahead of time. I'm not messing with it now though! I could work on the fascia to match it up too, but I think I'm going to leave it as it is...at least for now. Jeff
I would work on shaving them down and reworking them with fiberglass

I recently picked up a set of 14" sway a way race runner remote reservoir coilover shocks with dual rate kits to stuff into the narrowed front!

P1010410.jpg

P1010409.jpg

Jeff

How's that body work coming? Looks like excellent work. I've been DREAMING about having the frond end narrowed. Doesn't look easy though. Thanks for all the detailed build pics. Can't wait to see more pics, esp finished ones :D.

you ever finish this?

No, I did do a little more work on the front end sheet metal stuff, but not much. It is now residing in my rented houses basement! I've not really done anything on it in awhile. It's still there though. :) I really should try to get this thing going for the Moab gathering this coming fall! Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I saw pics of your work on narrowing your rig, but Photobucket has restricted access and blurred out all of your images that you posted on Naxja.

Do you by any chance have these pictures hosted elsewhere, or do you have a link to your photobucket directory so I could view them directly from photobucket instead of through a forum? I think they blocked forum posting unless you're a paid subscriber.

I am planning on doing this to my 92 XJ and would greatly appreciate some pictures of your fab process on what you left and what you cut out.

Thanks in advance.

Steven

After running a straight edge from the radiator support down past the inner portion of the frame, I marked where the rear of the radiator will sit. Then I positioned the WJ steering box against the frame rail so it would clear the radiator.

P3160161.jpg

It sits back pretty far on the frame rail. Notice if you will the mark on the frame rail that shows where the stock sector sits and how far back the WJ box sector is. At this point I plan to have the WJ box reworked by West Texas Offroad to set it up for hydro assist and at the same time have it's rotation reversed so I can re-mount the pitman arm facing FORWARD! This will actually place the drag link to pitman arm joint FORWARD from the stock position quite a bit. This is the orientation that the JK's use and it seems to me that it would work out well for steering geometry. What do you all think?

The pic below shows how the pitman arm will interfere with the bottom of the frame rail, so I plan to trim some off the bottom of the frame rail up to the radiator.

P3160162.jpg

The pics below show how far back on the frame rail the WJ box ends up sitting. I guess I plan on welding in sleeves to accomodate the frame rail shape and provide a flat plane for the steering box to mount against. At least the front two bolts will pass through my 2x6 box rail frame reinforcement. All four will pass through the frame rail plating, so I'm confident the mount will be plenty strong.

P3160163.jpg

P3160164.jpg

P3160165.jpg

More work to come. Jeff

Back