NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old April 18th, 2006, 18:31
NAXJA Forum User

Trans Temp Gauge

I just purchased a trans temp gauge and when I went to install it I realized something... I don't know where to put the sending unit. I've made a couple decisions however. I realize that since I do not want to have a bung welded into the pan I only have two other options; use an existing hole that the sending unit will screw into or "T" into the outgoing trans cooler lines. Does anyone have anymore info they can share about this. I don't know of any holes to use. Someone who's done this before please point me in the right direction...
Old April 18th, 2006, 18:36
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Trans Temp Gauge

i have an AW4 and i'm going to use a port just in front of the pressure line to the cooler. It's a star plug with m14x1.5 threads. I ordered an adapter from autometer this morning, pn 2267 i THINK. just an insert to go from m14x1.5 to 1/8" npt.

Hope this helps

Adam
Old April 18th, 2006, 18:37
NAXJA Forum User

Very nice... Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks
Old April 18th, 2006, 18:40
NAXJA Forum User

You can also get a T fitting - with the branch the size of your sensor, and a 3/8" run. That way, you can plumb it into the cooler line directly (use a 3/8" barb fitting to go to the rubber line) and just zip-tie it up out of the way. Probably easier, and should be cheaper. Get brass if you can - it will last longer under there.

You could also talk to MachineMan - I know he did a temperature gage for his transmission - he had a whole slew of issues that took a while to resolve, and temperature was just one of them! I think he's got them all pointed in the right direction, tho...

5-90
Old April 18th, 2006, 19:11
NAXJA Forum User

What about replacing pan drain plug with temp sender for new aftermarket guage? Just crawling around underneath my '98 tonight, looking for a good place to install sender...anyone try this location? good idea / bad idea??
Old April 18th, 2006, 20:06
NAXJA Forum User

I think I would prefer a spot with a little more flow. Am I right it wanting this? I figure it would give me a more accurate reading.
Old April 18th, 2006, 20:25
NAXJA Forum User

Yes, you are. A temperature sensor should always be placed in "full flow" to ensure an accurate reading.

5-90
Old April 18th, 2006, 22:06
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Trans Temp Gauge / cooler install

OK you have me convinced, full flow it is. Now I've read posts that say the front most line from the tranny is the out line, and i've read posts that say the rear most line is the out or pressure line. Which is correct for my vehicle, a 1998automatic 4x4 stock with no tranny cooler (yet). I'd like to know which is correct, as this will be the line I pull my temp from, and the other the post-radiator line I install my cooler on. Thanks!
Old April 18th, 2006, 23:19
NAXJA Forum User

Hope this helps
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=81124
Old May 3rd, 2006, 20:30
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks man!

Mine is a 1998 with only the radiator cooler, no aux cooler (yet). So the line that enters the top of the radiator is the line from the tranny, and the line that exits the bottom of the radiator runs fluid back to the tranny, correct?

thanks
nate
Old May 3rd, 2006, 22:02
NAXJA Forum User

Correct.
Old May 4th, 2006, 14:17
NAXJA Forum User

I thought that there was some reasonable info in these two links.

This is the part I purchased (but I didn't install it this way) --------> http://4x4trailhunters.com/article.php?id=12
This is basically how I installed it ------------> http://jeepin.com/features/tranny_temp_gauge/index.asp

Old May 4th, 2006, 14:30
NAXJA Forum User

Another option that I used is to by a transmission filter kit with the sensor in the adaptor. It is kind of pricey, around 79.00 I think, however, you get the benefit of a spin on oil filter to clean your tranny fluid and also monitor your temperatures. It fits nicely under the radiator of my cherokee behind the bumper and the kit come with everything, adaptor, filter, hose, fittings, temp gauge, and sending unit.
Old May 4th, 2006, 14:34
Gone but not forgotten...

I've bought three of those kits from Summit (just the Perma Cool filter bracket, not the kit with the gauge) and 1/3 had the trans temp sender port tapped & plugged... the other two it looks super easy to drill & tap it out.

Looks like #1211 or 1213 on this site... http://www.bakerprecision.com/filtmnt.htm
Old May 4th, 2006, 16:19
NAXJA Forum User

So with that in mind it's time to figure out which line is which. The easiest way to do this is simply follow the lines back from the radiator. The feed line enters the radiator at the bottom (contrary to what you might think), and the return line enters from the top. The feed line is also the hardline that runs under the front of the oil pan. On our XJ the lines swapped places as they went around the oilpan, so the feed line was now the "lower" of the two lines.

The above is a quote from that great link http://jeepin.com/features/tranny_temp_gauge/index.asp. Now i'm totally confused. Some say the feed line is the line to the top of the rad, some say it's the line to the bottom of the rad

which one is it, surely someone out there must know for sure???