NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Events > Past NAXJA Events > PAST NAXJA EVENTS > Cherokee Crawl 2010
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Cherokee Crawl 2010 July 1-4, 2010 in Harlan, Kentucky

Old July 19th, 2010, 21:03
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Hear Ye, Hear Ye.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificEd View Post
Your comments are very disappointing, yet not surprising. I had to justify Morris Mountain to you also.
However I showed, just like I showed to Harlan the year before and to Tellico years before that. My complaint wasn't the location as much as it was the DICTATION that this is where we are going to ride instead of the option. If you remember the first crawl you had attended, It was decided by the SEC as a whole to try riding at Harlan.

Quote:
I may hurt your feelings here but it gets frustrating when those who complain offer absolutly no help in planning and making an event work. You are put out, so quit. That's the easy way out. Or you can become part of the solution and help grow the SEC.
How many times did we have the long drawn out conversations about how to help and improve the SEC? Hell Ed, I was one of the few that brought up you even taking the position of office before elections. I told you I'd give you my opinion wether you like it or not as I have many times. As far as I can see, you are only interested in what gets said in that little BOD forum and nothing from the members you represent.

Quote:
There are so many factors that play into planning an event that you have no idea about. We asked for volunteers and found no offers. BrianHO13 actually helped the SEC make this a great event and without his help as a trail leader, we would have had some serious struggles. We already have guys wanting to help for the next event. This only improves the Crawl and makes it better for everyone. The SEC learned a lot about the trail system and what we can plan for next year. There will be more smaller rides. We needed a place where everyone can have a great time, not just the super-duper wheeling machines, but stockers and mildly built rigs too.
I have been here much longer than you, I know what goes into these events. I think it's great that Brian was able to be such a big help but I see no reason he wouldn't, Harlan is in his chapter, he should be familiar with riding these places. I don't think you have a clue as to what's available in the SEC to ride as far as parks go. Where is it you have been and had such a bad time that makes you want to journey out of the SEC to host the SEC CHEROKEE CRAWL and why not let the members of the SEC decide where they want to spend their summer vacation wheeling and with friends like so many do?
Old July 19th, 2010, 21:28
YOLO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rredalty View Post
However I showed, just like I showed to Harlan the year before and to Tellico years before that. My complaint wasn't the location as much as it was the DICTATION that this is where we are going to ride instead of the option. If you remember the first crawl you had attended, It was decided by the SEC as a whole to try riding at Harlan.

How many times did we have the long drawn out conversations about how to help and improve the SEC? Hell Ed, I was one of the few that brought up you even taking the position of office before elections. I told you I'd give you my opinion wether you like it or not as I have many times. As far as I can see, you are only interested in what gets said in that little BOD forum and nothing from the members you represent.

I have been here much longer than you, I know what goes into these events. I think it's great that Brian was able to be such a big help but I see no reason he wouldn't, Harlan is in his chapter, he should be familiar with riding these places. I don't think you have a clue as to what's available in the SEC to ride as far as parks go. Where is it you have been and had such a bad time that makes you want to journey out of the SEC to host the SEC CHEROKEE CRAWL and why not let the members of the SEC decide where they want to spend their summer vacation wheeling and with friends like so many do?
Dictation and direction are two different things. We found that lack of direction and making firm plans is very difficult when dealing with a Chapter of this size. No event will please everyone. We found by selecting locations and dates, that many members worked with those dates and locations and planned accordingly. Members made plans to attend the events that were important to them.

I know you have been around here longer but Ghost has been here from the beginning. He has helped, along with other seasoned members of , us figure out the direction we needed to go.

Since you have been here so long, how many events have you actively been a part of planning and coordinating in the SEC? I'm not talking about attending, but actually doing the homework it requires to make an event happen.

As far as Morris Mountain goes. I remember you saying this venue was not acceptable and were on the phone calling other off road parks in Alabama. If Grey Rock had been open, you would have left and tried to take several others with you. In the end, after questioning the BOD's reasoning for choosing Morris Mountain, you stayed and said you had a great time.

I can't please everyone. The SEC is a huge Chapter and finding an off road park that can accomodate ALL members who wish to attend is very important. There are so many factors that play on this and not many parks fit the bill.

Matt, I asked for volunteers and no one responded. I appreciate your comments and hopefully everyone will make the best decision for themselves.
Old July 19th, 2010, 22:32
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Drive isn't the issue, I can be at Harlan in 3 hours... drove 6.5 to Alabama the year before. Driving doesn't bother me. What does is the consistant lack of input request from the BOD regarding the SEC.
I don't want to turn it into a pissing match man, I like that they made Harlan the permanent home for the crawl. If you don't well then so be it. Can't we all just get along?!
[/QUOTE]
Old July 20th, 2010, 04:41
<- Yum Chocolate

Matt I love you man but I think we might have to talk Ghost into giving up the whinebag......... .!..!.

I motion to give KY to the SEC, we all know that's where it belongs anyway.

Last edited by BRIANHO13; July 20th, 2010 at 04:46.
Old July 20th, 2010, 07:46
Member Number 257

Quote:
Your comments are very disappointing, yet not surprising. I had to justify Morris Mountain to you also.

I may hurt your feelings here but it gets frustrating when those who complain offer absolutely no help in planning and making an event work. You are put out, so quit. That's the easy way out. Or you can become part of the solution and help grow the SEC.

I hate to tell people this, but I eat, breathe and live the Crawl for months before it takes place. Mark lives it with me since we often eat lunch together since we work together and we are always brainstorming and trying to make sure everything goes perfect. I'm sure he will agree that I drive him nuts. The BOD spends a lot of time trying to be sure everything will go as it should. The Crawl is the SEC's premier event and it is our chance to showcase some great trails and great riding. Having a great raffle, good meals, great trails, and facilities are all part of making this event happen.

Matt, I hate to tell you this but it wasn't uncommon years ago for there to be lots of people from outside the chapter attending the Crawl. MWC guys have always supported the event.

There are so many factors that play into planning an event that you have no idea about. We asked for volunteers and found no offers. BrianHO13 actually helped the SEC make this a great event and without his help as a trail leader, we would have had some serious struggles. We already have guys wanting to help for the next event. This only improves the Crawl and makes it better for everyone. The SEC learned a lot about the trail system and what we can plan for next year. There will be more smaller rides. We needed a place where everyone can have a great time, not just the super-duper wheeling machines, but stockers and mildly built rigs too.

You know, I really try to do a good job as President of this Chapter. Now if my skills are not up to task, I can be replaced this December when we have elections for the SEC BOD. Replace me if you don't like what I and the BOD have done. We can do polls all day long and get no where. To build an event you have to have a foundation and this BOD decided if we wanted a successful event it needed a home.

For those who attended the Crawl, most if not all had great things to say. It was a great experience and many new friends were made. Names were put to faces. By making this announcement now, it gives people time to save and plan for this event a full year in advance. We want more to come and find out why the Crawl is a fun place to be during the 4th of July weekend.
Well said. This was my 8th consecutive Crawl. I have wheeled in several places with and without all over the SE. The only places I have not hit up are either over priced IMHO or just too far at this time in my life/financial situation. I firmly believe that KY is southern. Tellico was/is the best place in the South to wheel. Of all the places I have been nothing has the facilities and amount of easy/moderate trails as Harlan. I stand behind this decision 100% and know how much is involved in getting all this together. I for one appreciate Ed's leadership and ability to do it and put up with all the BS that goes with this clubs nitpickers. Isn't making decisions like this why we elect a BOD? To represent us and organize the Chapter so that it and the event can grow? Even if we put a thread up it would have been like all the rest. Maybe here maybe there. Ed, Mark and I have spent a lot of time talking about this and other issues. Ed and Mark put together one hell of a raffle this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIANHO13 View Post
Matt I love you man but I think we might have to talk Ghost into giving up the whinebag......... .!..!.

I motion to give KY to the SEC, we all know that's where it belongs anyway.
LOL! You know where my vote goes. But she do make a nice trail buddy!
Old July 20th, 2010, 13:30
NAXJA Forum User

Great to Hear the Crawl will be back in Harlan. Now, I have two great events to attend next year.

Nick
Old July 20th, 2010, 13:53
I have not Confirmed, or I used a BAD email Addy

by then Avon will be able to attend and even mrs crawler will be out there showing the "boys" that women drivers are good too!

Mark
Old July 20th, 2010, 14:02
Member Number 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgeek2002 View Post
by then Avon will be able to attend and even mrs crawler will be out there showing the "boys" that women drivers are good too!

Mark
Sorry Mark but the women driver showing up the boys has been done. Anyone at that particular Crawl will know what I'm referring to.
Old July 20th, 2010, 14:15
YOLO!

Quote:
Read here for the voting results from 2008.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...ght=Crawl+2008

"I don't think you have a clue as to what's available in the SEC to ride as far as parks go."

I just noticed this quote from above. So I got to thinking where all I've wheeled. So here is where I've been:

Wooley's, Coppenger's Cove, Golden Mountain, Aetna, Windrock, Harlan, LBL (Turkey Bay), Morris Mountain, and Tellico. Many of those places more than once. In some I was a passenger.

In the end, I've seen a lot of places and experienced them. I would be willing to bet I've wheeled a fair amount of places by most peoples standards.

Also when you consider that Glenn and Mark have experience with parks that I don't and you collectively compile that, I think we make pretty good decisions.
Old July 20th, 2010, 19:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
Sorry Mark but the women driver showing up the boys has been done. Anyone at that particular Crawl will know what I'm referring to.
Since Dawn and I would hang out with Travis and Michelle nearly every month at his shop in Blue Ridge... i guess you re refering to Michele's XJ....

You got a point ... one day my wife will be as famous as Michelle

Mark
Old July 20th, 2010, 19:24

oh,,,,and AVON>? i bought it from Travis... lol but she was green with silver flaires
Old July 20th, 2010, 19:47
NAXJA Forum User

meh, I won't let my wife wheel my junk, she'll make me look bad. Ask the MWC fellas.
Old July 20th, 2010, 20:21
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
meh, I won't let my wife wheel my junk, she'll make me look bad. Ask the MWC fellas.
What, is she too nice to it? Seeing how mild-mannered she is, and how you beat the shiz outta your Jeep...
Old July 20th, 2010, 20:30
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
i was at the crawl where michelle dropped the driveshaft/axlshaft/ and some other catastrophe that earned her the carnage award....... in fact i think those are parts of her xj on that hunk of junk in my kitchen
Old July 20th, 2010, 20:31
Member Number 257

Quote:
Since Dawn and I would hang out with Travis and Michelle nearly every month at his shop in Blue Ridge... i guess you re refering to Michele's XJ....

You got a point ... one day my wife will be as famous as Michelle

Mark
Ahhh you know the teacher well then....

Quote:
oh,,,,and AVON>? i bought it from Travis... lol but she was green with silver flaires
Good person to buy from with an upstanding rep. I really hated to see them go under. I did not realize you knew them since they rarely come on here.