• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

do i still need the steering brace?

xjhm

NAXJA Forum User
i installed a rigidco winch bumper last week on my '99...i removed the rusty's steering brace i had on it...
my question is...
with the support obtained from the bulkhead mounting apparatus for the bumper, and the frame side plates(which the steering box bolts go through)...will the steering brace be overkill and just add to dead weight?

also, does anyone know of any frame/steering box troubles after this type of reinforcement has been installed
fyi... the entire front frome is reinforced across the front and has side plates extending along the frame, back past the large hole in the frame, behind the steering box bolts... www.rigidco.com if you want to see the mounting system that comes with this bump...thanks, john

I think you will be fine, I have my steering box bolts going through a 3/16ths plate that is on the outside of the "frame" rail and I'm running 39.5s. No probs yet. thanks
-calvin

since you already have the brace,and because of the horror stories i have heard about the steering box on the xj, i dont think it will be overkill. one guy i knew had a plate that looked kind of like one of c-rocks, just looked like it i might add, and he still had his box pull through. he was running 38's on road, and 44's off(he had barely any fender left) on full width 60's with the stock box. even though you might be running 31's or 33's or what ever, he still had it pull through

cherokeepimpin said:
one guy i knew had a plate that looked kind of like one of c-rocks, just looked like it i might add, and he still had his box pull through. he was running 38's on road, and 44's off(he had barely any fender left) on full width 60's with the stock box. even though you might be running 31's or 33's or what ever, he still had it pull through
ummm if he had a good plate on one side and a good plate in between the box and teh frame rail how could he bull it through? did he destroy the plate in the process?? if so, his plate was how should I put it.... inadequate.

yeah, I quess since you already have it you should use it, its not going to add an extreme amount of weight or anything, overkill is better than having your box rip off. thanks
-calvin

If your ever think about running a front locker in the future. (unless you have one now) Buy C-Roks frame plate kit! Best money I ever spent. Even 31's and a front locker will put a lot of stress on the frame up there. Now go to 33's or 35's or bigger...Yikes!

Back