NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Other Technical Forums > Jeep Street and Performance
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Jeep Street and Performance Do you like to go fast in your Jeep?

Old July 29th, 2012, 07:02
NAXJA Forum User

better sound out of rear sound bar?

Hi all,

I've noticed, since upgrading the stereo in my XJ, that the bass response that I hear from the rear speakers is much less than that from the fronts. The fronts sound pretty good even though I keep forgetting to dynamat the doors every time I have the panels off, but the ones in the soundbar sound tinny and weak, at least from the front seat. My setup:

JVC Arsenal KD-AHD75BT head unit
Polk DXi 650s speakers front and rear (only minor trimming with a razor knife required to fit these in the sound bar)
Stock wiring (except for repairing the door jamb wiring) no amp (that may change, but not now)

I'm wondering if this is because the sound bar doesn't really seal against the (flexible) headliner. Any thoughts how to address this? Was thinking of maybe taking some kind of material and making a back for the soundbar, alternately maybe just putting some polyfill in there. Has anyone tried either approach and did it work?

I'm definitely considering adding an amp and a sub at some point, but even so, it'll sound better if I get all the sound that I should out of the speakers that I already have...
Old July 30th, 2012, 03:21
Oh the huge manatee

Re: better sound out of rear sound bar?

FWIW, I had a set of Pioneers in the soundbar in my XJ and I thought they sounded very good; it didn't sound weak at all.
Old July 31st, 2012, 00:19
NAXJA Forum User

Re: better sound out of rear sound bar?

I'm in the process of installing a rear sound bar this week and am using component speakers with external tweeters. I will let you know what my results are once it's all hooked up and see if I have any issue with it not being a "sealed area".