• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement Fuel Tank...Plastic or Metal???

csr_011

NAXJA Forum User
Well, i think the mechanic and i have stumped ourselves long enough. the cutting out and dying all of a sudden without warning has gotten progressively worse since the new IAC and TPS were installed. We now believe, due to the junk in the fuel filter that i just changed a few weeks ago is full of crap and that maybe the fuel pump is clogging up or something. So, my question is: Since i have to drop the tank anyways why not put a new tank in with the new fuel pump instead of messing around with flushing and all that? The next question is plastic or metal? just curious as to what everyone thinks. Oh and by the way, this is the 3rd fuel filter installed in the last two years, i did not just neglect the first check and cheapest fix to the problem.

Thanks,
Cory

What year XJ?

Am I safe in assuming that your original tank is metal? I know one of the magazines just did an article singing the praises of plastic tanks to replace metal, but being the olde pharte that I am, I've seen metal tanks last for a good many years, while I have no long-term experience with plastic tanks. In general, I have not yet found anything made of plastic that hasn't become progressively more brittle with age, and therefore I personally don't trust plastic tanks.

I'd go metal. Your mileage may vary.

I know back in 94 or 95 jeep and chrylser had a problem with plastic tanks breaking down and clogging up the fuel systems. One of my co workers at lucent who lives up here in the poconos and commuted daily had his XJ die, bad fuel pump, had it towed to a local mechanic who does alot of jeeps and he replaced the pump and sent him on his way. Day later it also bit the dust and had to be changed out again, this time with a jeep OEM pump, that one lasted about 20 miles and went belly up. When he took it back to the jeep dealer they gave him a new pump, new fuel tank and reimbursed the owner for towing and cost. There was some kind of bad batch of tanks that chrysler was quietly replacing them.

RichP said:
I know back in 94 or 95 jeep and chrylser had a problem with plastic tanks breaking down and clogging up the fuel systems.

XJs didn't get plastic tanks until 1997.

so im assuming that the problem was cured? Maybe i will just go with the OEM metal one, probably cheaper anyways. I could get a used one, but im not to sure about that, i want one that will last. How much do they run anyways?
Cory

Expect around $120 to $150 for a new steel tank.

i just replaced the tank in my 87 last month and the dealer wanted $396 for the tank alone!!!!! i scored one locally for $120.... if rust is an issue in your area invest in some new j-bolts too... dealer-only item around here and they want $16 each... the internal vent tube in the new tank is much shorter than the OEM one so now it burps fuel every time i fill it.....

mike

ZmOz said:
XJs didn't get plastic tanks until 1997.

In correct, look around you will see alot of pre-97's with plastic..

RichP said:
In correct, look around you will see alot of pre-97's with plastic..
No kidding...talk about SPOBI. My 89 had a plastic tank. My 96 has a plastic 20-gallon tank with about 4 gallons worth of dents.

You're probably thinking of the plastic "skid plate". An '89 XJ does NOT have a plastic tank unless someone swaped it.

Yucca-Man said:
No kidding...talk about SPOBI. My 89 had a plastic tank. My 96 has a plastic 20-gallon tank with about 4 gallons worth of dents.

How does one dent a plastic tank?

Back