• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to do with EGR valve and fuel pressure

indy89xj

NAXJA Forum User
First of all Great Forum! I have read through quite a few of the threads and have seen similar issues to mine but not quite the same. Anyway, I have a 89XJ 4.0 auto. The issue started one day while heading down the freeway. I had been driving 65/70 and got stuck in Indy trafic for 20 minutes. Noticed some sputtering when I stepped on the pedal and it only got worse. Anything above 1800 and I got choke sputter and cough. Had a couple of Jeep service dept tell me that 89's have no DX port so they wouldn't touch it. I was forced to purchase an 01. Now that I have have time to work on the 89 I have found that it starts few hard and will runs very rough until it is warm. But even when it is warm it will not run under load. Any thing over 1800 causes stumble, choke, backfire and die. Last weekend I tore into it. I went to relieve the fuel pressure at the release valve and found NONE. Injectors and fuel lines were not how I wanted to spend my weekend so I tore off the air box and gave the ERG valve the once over. The Vaccum tubes to it were plugged and the valve moved slowly. I unplugged the vac tubes and lubed the valve. And re-installed all. It started just as hard as before but this time it seems to stay running under idl. When I under load I still have the same stumble and choke. Should I suspect the fuel system even though while in the driveway I can rev from 3500 to 4500 no problem. Or should I suspect a CPS or TSP? Any Thoughts would be appreciated

Back