• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hell day at the office

woody

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Started off as an ordinary wrench day. Simple missions were to replace front brake pads, turned rotors and axle UJs on Momma's 88, plus pull some 3" coils/spacers off the MJ to put back into the mix one day soon. (coils for Momma, spacers for me) and scab the shox off the MJ front to swap for a tan console and 4-light Waggy harness/header/grille.

Day started iffy. Just did make it to the parts house to get brakepads and pick up the rotors. and got second UJ at another parts house (they only had one 5-260x at the first)

Things came apart easily enough, and glad I did UJ's since one cap was dry and fragged...likely a factory installed 190k part LOL. At that point, my helper-elf had to leave to go to work. It scares me when Karen drives my Jeep...she doesn't like it and it doesn't like her. :D Doing UJs with the hub attached is so fun with no helper, but WTF :dunno:

Did the driver's side first, put that UJ (with nipple on the cross) in backwards :rolleyes: so the nipple would get sheared off on the first turn. I usually get greasable with the needle fitting on the cap, so never really thought about it until too late. Say the hell with it, clean the excess grease off it, pull the nipple and sealed the hole up with RTV.

We're burning daylight and the Winston comes on at 7:30 and I had a BBQ to get to or I'd be watching it on radio (no cable here)

Passenger side Aaaargh I was given an outer-clip UJ for the freakin driveshaft at the second parts house. (My fault for not opening the box) No problem, grabbed my spare 5-297 setup, bopped it apart and installed a fresh UJ from my stash. It went together smooth enough, but had to pull the 260 stub from the hub (5 minutes, thanks to a 3' pipe on the pullbar) and install the spare ax. Of course, the splines were rusty enough that it took extreme effort to slide it through...even with anti-sieze on em. then the dang long end wouldnt seat into the spider gear (rust) so we had to get a little mean :viking: finally got it in there and zipped it up. I destroyed my bronze head mallet somewhere in the process! LOL ya gotta be a bad MoFo to break a hammer (not the handle...the head)

What a PITA! 4.5 hours in purgatory! If I wasn't so damn cheap, I'd never touch another tool as long as I live... but I reckon wrenching is good for the soul (if bad for the blood-pressure) and it's part of the price of admission to the Jeepin scene.

Got to the BBQ just in time for beef ribs and yardbird deluxe coming off the coals. Missed the Winston Open, but saw all three segments of the Winston. Momma just got in and test-drove her Heep...loves the smooth new brakes! LOL the rotors came off One-Ton's old front axle and the 297 shaft came off FJH97XJs, so little does she know where (parts of) her Jeep have been to.

Never did get to pulling the coils and shox off the MJ...but theres another day coming in the morning.

Wow! Sounds like my kinda luck!

Back