• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 backing plate on a D44?

Shorty

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
searched, but came up empty--

does anyone know first hand if the rear brakes (including backing plate) from a D35 can be swapped onto a D44? I've got all new stuff on the heep, and a need to swap axles.

No, they are different bolt patterns, and different size brakes also.

10" diameter on both-- just 1.75" vs 2.5" width. I thought I might be able to drill and cut the plate to fit the D44 mounts without much effort.

I guess the biggest stumbling block is if there is a difference in "hub height" between the two that corresponds with the wider brakes.

I'm just trying to be a cheap screw and reuse the crappier brakes from the D35 if it's possible

It probably could work but you would have to drill out the mounting holes on the backing plates: the D35 and D44 mounting holes are different (depending on the years).

It probably could work but you would have to drill out the mounting holes on the backing plates: the D35 and D44 mounting holes are different (depending on the years).
the bolt pattern changed around the time they went from a non c-clip to a c-clip 35

the bolt pattern changed around the time they went from a non c-clip to a c-clip 35

now we're gettin' somewhere! It's an '87 D44 and an '88 D35 (non c-clip)

I know the original AMC part numbers are different, so I'm assuming there is something that's different. I'm assuming that with larger tubes and bearings, the retaining plate bolts will be farther apart on the D44.

I swear I'm not being lazy, and if it were here I'd go measure it!!

Back