• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fabrication of axle dolly and jack PART DEUX!

rockwerks

NAXJA Forum User
Well I bent some tube and cut up an old bent floor jack and stuck it all together and here is what I ended up with....still need to make adjustments on the front you will see. and make adjustable height axle brackets to make installation a breeze. I was able to pick up the axle 450lbs of it and tote around the on the jack it is very stable and easy to steer. With the cart handle on one end and the jack handle on the other it is easy to work and move around while under the jeep.

picture.JPG

here is the ol bent up floor jack I decided to use for the project..rated at 25,000 lbs it should do the trick...LOL

picture.JPG

I managed to modify the lawn cart and was able to reatain the top for hauling stuff around, it attaches with small hitch pins

picture.JPG

remove the top and install the axle arm

picture.JPG

It raises 14" and the arm remains level

picture.JPG

Here is the 450 lb axle on the cart

picture.JPG

The jack easily raises the axle, the only problem is with large axle like this the rear of the axle main support hangs up on the pinio housing. I will cut it off tomorrow and figure out adjustable arm perches and pinion perch

It rolls easily on the pneumatic tires.

Ok...now you're just showing off :moon:
That would have been REALLy helpful to me over the summer.

now that's bling bling. how is the jack tied into the dolly? looks like you need more triangulation:laugh3:.

bj-666 said:
now that's bling bling. how is the jack tied into the dolly? looks like you need more triangulation:laugh3:.

its welded to the 5/8" rear axle, and 2 1/2" x 1/8" strap then 4" welds at the front to the tubes.inside and outside. I dotn think its gonna fall off

is that thing DOM, or did you go cheap and use sprinkler pipe? it probably wont hold if you roll it...

And to think I had to just balance my axle on a jack when I did my axle swap....it wasn't that stable, but I got the thing on my jeep with minimal effort....you must do a lot of axle swaps...

trainwrexj said:
is that thing DOM, or did you go cheap and use sprinkler pipe? it probably wont hold if you roll it...

actually used 1 1/2" HREW 120 wall and it hold up well under movement, the front arm mount flexes about 1 1/2" up and down so alignment was easy. If I did it agaiin I would use a longer throw and shorter bodied jack

It does work well though and yes I do quuite a bit of axle moving and istallation. my total cost in this is around 100.00, worth every penny. now that the rear is in I need to do the front.. this cart will allow me to adjust the positon of the axle from side to side and up and down, Im mounting new brackets to an HP60 and going with TNT's Y-Link Setup. This cart will allow me to make small asjustments in teh axle position to figure the best locations for the brackets

Looks very nice and very useful. How much shipped to 80538 :laugh3: I only need it for a couple of days.

old_man said:
Looks very nice and very useful. How much shipped to 80538 :laugh3: I only need it for a couple of days.

Well it would cost as much to ship as it did to build....tell ya what meet me at four corners and you can borrow it :laugh3:

Back