• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

27 or 30 Spline Shafts for Dana 30?

1WhiteXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I know this has been covered a few times here before, but the last discussion I could find about this was from a few years ago...
I want to lock the Dana 30 and I'm looking for opinions on the 27 or 30 spline upgrade debate. I can see both sides. With 27 spline, you can carry spares if you happen to break one. But, I like the idea of NOT breaking so 30 spline appeals to me. Plus, at this moment, I can get 30 spline shafts for less than 27's. Have at it. Thanks!

I like to have things factory for trail fixes, everybody I run with carries different items but they are interchangeable. I never broke my factory axles in 18yrs but I did upgrade to chromo's recently while I was doing my WJ brake upgrade.

Yes, I run a ARB in front.

Upgrading to 30 spines moves the weakest point from the axles to the ring and pinion. Guess which one is easier to replace, especially while on a trail.

29 spline is the newer stock dana 30

I mean you can build it to 30...

I can build my 44 to 35, but the $ required is pretty crazy

what else have you done to polish that turd?

i recently broke a chomoly 27 spline short side inner, but it did hold up fine for 5 yrs of abuse. it was still under the ten yr. warranty,so quadratec sent me a new complete set of g2 27 spline front axle shafts, inners , outers w/ u joints installed. all they ask was return the old kit & they paid return shipping , im impressed.

I have done the 30 spline upgrade a couple of times. I don't buy in to the "moving the fuse to the ring and pinion" junk because 27 spline guys break those all the time as well.

That said, for what little upgrade it is, I would not bother upgrading to 30 spline again. Would just buy good 27 spline chromo stuff.

i recently broke a chomoly 27 spline short side inner, but it did hold up fine for 5 yrs of abuse. it was still under the ten yr. warranty,so quadratec sent me a new complete set of g2 27 spline front axle shafts, inners , outers w/ u joints installed. all they ask was return the old kit & they paid return shipping , im impressed.
That's good to know they sent you a new set at no cost to you! Just curious, what size tires were you running? Locked?

That said, for what little upgrade it is, I would not bother upgrading to 30 spline again. Would just buy good 27 spline chromo stuff.
Thanks. I'm now leaning toward the 27 splines simply due to I already have stock spares ready to go. I highly doubt I'll ever need them, but never say never...

Back