• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drive shaft too short

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
After installing new shims my rear cardan shaft is too short.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess no, but is worth/safe trying to cut the driveshaft down myself, or is this a dangerous balancing nightmare waiting to happen?

Local shop is quoting me 190$ to cut and rebalance

Go to Englewood Driveshaft. He has always done me right.

How much to short are we talking?

You can also buy a longer yoke(male or female).

Before I spend $190 trying to fix an OEM shaft, I'd put serious consideration into an aftermarket part. Tom Woods lists a OEM style rear shaft, custom length, at $240. That includes a new slip yoke, u-joints and likely a thicker tube; at least my front shaft did. Just something to keep in mind and TW has never been accused of being the cheapest on the block. In the past there have been multiple companies listing custom shafts on Ebay for less.

As RCP_PHX alluded to, a YJ yoke is longer by ~3/4" if I'm not mistaken. The YJ yoke didn't fix my problem and I eventually installed a SYE chasing my issue. A Hack & Tap is much cheaper at ~$100 plus ~$80 more for and aftermarket shaft due to the double-cardan, or an OEM front shaft can work in some applications. Just some things to keep in mind so you don't end up buying things twice.

After installing new shims my rear cardan shaft is too short.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess no, but is worth/safe trying to cut the driveshaft down myself, or is this a dangerous balancing nightmare waiting to happen?

Local shop is quoting me 190$ to cut and rebalance

Too long, sorry.

The rear pinion has been pushed closer to the TC output causing the stock front shaft to now be too long.

A new shaft was a thought for the money , it may be worth upgrading. Adam's likely, I thought tw cost more

I'd cut mine and weld in more tube, but trail only.

and good luck finding an XJ in the junkyard for these ^ although I did save the info

Back