• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any room left for improvement in stock brakes?

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, been a while since I posted on here but I am looking to see if there is any ounce more of performance I can squeeze out of my otherwise stock brakes.

Quick run down of my 97 XJ brake setup:
Front - entirely stock with the exception of ceramic pads and drilled and slotted rotors (my Jeep is a daily so on roads performance trumps any inherent flaws behind drilled and slotted rotors for trail use)

Rear - ZJ brake conversion with the same brand pads and rotors the front, yes I also swapped the guts to the proportioning valve.

Prop Valve - upgraded to ZJ guts for proper braking bias for disc brake conversion

Without doing something like chaining the front to the WJ setup, is there anything else I can do like maybe a MC upgrade? I have a 97 so the boost is already dual diaphragm.

I recently put 35s on the old Jeep and you can definitely feel the difference between these 35 KM3s and the old 33 KM2s. Its not huge but enough to see if there is anything fairly simple I can upgrade to gain a little performance back.

Thanks in advance!

You didn't mention braided stainless brake lines...

Vanco sells a big-brake kit for the D30 that comes with new knuckles. Other kits use the early model knuckles, which had bolt-on caliper mounts. Those kits can be replicated with some basic metal fab and junkyard parts.

Hydroboost is another option; Vanco has kits.

Back