• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diy regear

notamechanic

NAXJA Forum User
Alright sorry for beating an old topic to the ground. I’m sure enough peeps have asked this.

Who has done a home regear who is not a professional and how did it end out?
I’m a capable weekend mechanic and have done radiators, frame stiffeners, lifts, rear main, axle seals etc. all the routine stuff. I don’t have anyone who’s done a regear before to guide me through. But I love jeeps and ffroading and can’t afford gears from a shop. I really want to take my Jeep to the next level and learn a skill to apply to my future jeeps.

How do able is this? What are some of your experiences?

Installing and correctly setting up new gears is not extremely difficult, but also is not something you want to teach yourself. You need some specialized tools, and some specific technical knowledge. If you do go ahead, keep in mind that an incorrect install often wrecks everything, and you have to start over again with new gears and a new install kit.

Join a local 4x4 club, and see if anybody in the club has the skills, or take a related class at the Vocational Technical School. What skills do you have to barter for the job ?

It seems that the response is always the same — “some specialized tools”

Exactly what “specialized” tools are needed for a Dana 30 and a chry 8.25?

I plan on doing my own re-gear this year too with zero experience in setting up gears

regear is easy, the one specialized tool I needed was an inch pound torque wrench for checking rotation resistance.

Id read up on it, lots of stuff on the interweb. follow the procedures, no short cuts, check the pattern and compare to images that are often supplied in the instructions.

My first diff regear worked well, have done in now a few times. the first time was slow, but you need to go slow, be patient, dont settle for good enough on the pattern and turning torque, get it right by moving the shims around till perfect.
Looking back I say it was pretty easy, but first time is not easy, but it is nothing magic.

good luck!

Installing and correctly setting up new gears is not extremely difficult, but also is not something you want to teach yourself. You need some specialized tools, and some specific technical knowledge. If you do go ahead, keep in mind that an incorrect install often wrecks everything, and you have to start over again with new gears and a new install kit.

Join a local 4x4 club, and see if anybody in the club has the skills, or take a related class at the Vocational Technical School. What skills do you have to barter for the job ?

Thanks for the response! My buddy who would be helping me has all the needed tools, but no experience with gears either. He runs a fabrication shop out here in OC. I was thinking about taking a course at the local community college, but that wouldnt be until fall. I really want to run some big boy trails this summer which is why I'm kind of jumping on this!

Skills to barter for the job?? lol always have beers, or anyone need a logo or design work done??

It seems that the response is always the same — “some specialized tools”

Exactly what “specialized” tools are needed for a Dana 30 and a chry 8.25?

I plan on doing my own re-gear this year too with zero experience in setting up gears

Have you found any good books or resources? Or you just going for it?

regear is easy, the one specialized tool I needed was an inch pound torque wrench for checking rotation resistance.

Id read up on it, lots of stuff on the interweb. follow the procedures, no short cuts, check the pattern and compare to images that are often supplied in the instructions.

My first diff regear worked well, have done in now a few times. the first time was slow, but you need to go slow, be patient, dont settle for good enough on the pattern and turning torque, get it right by moving the shims around till perfect.
Looking back I say it was pretty easy, but first time is not easy, but it is nothing magic.

good luck!

Thanks man! How long do you think it took you on the first go?

I did my Dana 30 and 8.25 myself in the garage. I had never done gears before. The Dana was more difficult due to the way it’s all set up with shims. Lots and lots of removing/re-installing bearings and races. The 8.25 is easier because of the adjustable collars to set up the carrier. You will need a “special” tool for the 8.25. It’s a socket to adjust the carrier side adjusters. I used an old socket welded to a Dana 30 axle nut, it’s a perfect fit.

Take your time and make sure everything is correct before you button them up. I think most DIY gear set ups go bad because it’s easy to get frustrated and call it “close enough”. Especially after you have had it apart 20 times and feel like you aren’t making changes anymore.

I say go for it, the only way to learn is to drive in and get it done.

I used Revolution Gears/install kits from RWKHaus Supply. Included almost everything I needed, minus Dana 30 pinion oil slinger, and set up with great patterns.

Thanks man! How long do you think it took you on the first go?

Took several days

here is a link of what we did.. I have done this with a friend, did his and mine. good to have a helper too. keep track of the shims, make extensive notes, take photos of the gear pattern. when your told to wrap a rag around the shaft to add friction when making a pattern, do it, do not skimp and think little details are not needed, they are needed!

I think we got up to letter Q or so in pattern attempts, but on the last one we did we didnt need as many tries.

we spent a week or so on it the first time, working a few hours per day or so.

you may need to grind set up bearings, and will want a spare pinion nut so you dont wearaway the self locking feature of the nut during the multiple times you will need to torque it down for pattern test

I would say at a minimum for tools you need a small inch pound torque wrench (I use a small 50in/lb beam type that works good for bearings), race drivers are nice for installing the races and seals and aluminum ones will not hurt the races. A bearing splitter to or something to remove bearings, a press for installing bearings. Also assuming you have the required basic hand tools.

If you decide to do it yourself make or buy some set-up bearings.

Thanks for all the insights everyone. I found some spicer manuals online which seem to be very detailed. Haven’t found a good one for the 8-1/4 yet.

Hoping to get this done sometime in July. Would be a the best summer ever if I could finish this and make it up to Sierra fest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll need:

- Dial indicator and base for reading backlash
- Beam style in/lb. torque wrench for reading pinion load
- Bearing removal tool

You'll want:

- Press for installing bearings
- Bearing puller(s)
- Setup bearings - only to get you in the ballpark, then you'll need to use the actual bearings from there to dial it in

It's not hard, just time consuming depending on how many times you've done it.

There's a bit of work however before you even start getting the gears and patterns read, including pre-work for ring gear install onto carrier, shim starting selection, etc.

Back