• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Identifying Wrangler Wheels

jidaran

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to figure out the specs for my wheels so I can buy a full sized spare to carry in the back. I'm under the impression that these are Wrangler wheels. I found this, which indicates that they're 16x8 with a 45mm offset. But a quick search for the part number on that site (5H923TRMAA) brings up this page which has them with a 12.7mm offset. Is there any way to determine exactly what wheel I have here?

LABQ3nO.jpg

6z0MOho.jpg

Rubicon wheels are 16"x8" with 4-1/2" backspacing.

dRYQZaJ.jpg
ynSIP7I.jpg

different offset, backspacing isn't indicated.

a lot of these websites don't even bother to list the offset.

different offset, backspacing isn't indicated.

a lot of these websites don't even bother to list the offset.

Well, 8" wide rim, 12.7mm offset (25.4mm is 1 inch)

so, 1/2 of 8 is 4, and the offset is 12.7, or 1/2 of 25.4, or 1/2"

So, the backspacing would be 4" + 1/2" = 4 1/2"

Seems like all the info is there for 2003-2006, just have to do a little math

The 2002 one has a 1.77" offset, or a 5 3/4" backspace

Last edited:
After searching some more it looks like they're commonly called Moab wheels. Pulled this off of Jeep Forums:

"What Jeep called the "Moab" rims on the Rubicon model are the same style as the Mamba model MR1X wheels and the Quadratec Moab wheels. The original Jeep wheels came with Jeep logo center caps. For 2003 only, the wheels were 16X8, 5" BS, and 5x4.5" bolt circle, with machined/clearcoated finish. In subsequent years Jeep sold the silver painted versions, in the same 16x8 size on TJs, and in 17X8.5", 5.25" BS, and 5x5" bolt circle for JK Rubicons. The wheel style then changed in 2013 JKs for the 10th Anniversary Rubicon model. Jeep continued to call the re-designed wheels the "Moab" rims.

Quadratec sold the original Rubicon version as Quadratec-branded "Moab" rims (machined/clearcoat) plus three painted versions (silver, gunmetal gray, and black) with matching plain centercaps without any logo. I believe they are no longer imported by Quadratec, although there might be a few left. Quadratec sizes were 16x8, 5" BS for TJs and 17x8.5, 5.25" BS for JKs.

Mamba continues to import the same rims in Silver and Black painted versions with Mamba logo centercaps, as Mamba model MR1X wheels. Available Mamba sizes are 15x8 with 4.5" BS for TJs, 16x8 with 5" BS for TJs, 16x8 with 4.75" BS for JKs, and 17x8 with 4.75" BS for JKs.

Mamba rims can be bought at Tire Rack, Quadratec, and many local stores, my local Goodyear distributor sells them. They are typically around $105 to $120 online and higher in retail stores. Not bad pricing for OEM Jeep quality. All sizes are made by the same Chinese manufacturer.

I bought two 16x8's from Quadratec and compared them to the Jeep OEM rims, they were an exact match except for the center caps. I have ever only seen the Mamba version on a vehicle and had no opportunity to measure, but they also seem to be identical. The sizes above are taken from the Quadratec online listings, and appear a little inconsistent."

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/2003-2006-rubicon-moab-wheel-differences-4271353/

According to this I should be looking for something with a 5" backspace?

Measuring the backspacing of the rims you have is simple.

The Factory Jeep OEM Rubicon rim had 4.5" backspacing anything else is a "clone".

I have a full set of 5 on my XJ so I took photos of the spare. Notice the Chrysler emblem and other info.
IMG_0379_zps6bvsh5yi.jpg

P1080641_zpsc3liuhoi.jpg

P1080640_zpshg1hxx7p.jpg

P1080639_zpspfnnegyp.jpg

Back