• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leave on A/C or take it off??

85xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
First of all lets start of with the basics,

85 wagoneer.
2.5 inline four carbed. on a fresh rebuild.
three speed tranny.
229 tranfer case.

What I want to do is leave on my A/C and remove all hoses and electrical to it and just run it like that until I get enough money together to get the right hoses and make it an air compressor. My friend is trying to tell me that the pump inside the A/C unit is always running and is taking horsepower away from me and will dry out. Is he right? I have had someone else tell me that the pump doesn't run when the electrical is unpluged and will not dry out as long as I put some lubrication it the unit once in a while and it will not take away HP. If I don't keep the A/C pump than I will be taking a measurement to get the right size belt. So who is right or are both people wrong? Any info out there would be great. Please give me some input on this or suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Kim.

Kim,
I would leave the compressor on and all the hoses so as no contaminants can get in the system which could later cause your compressor to lock up. The compressor doesn't run until you switch on the electrics which locks the clutches and then it pumps. You shouldn't be robbing horses unless it's pumping.
If the system has no refrigerant then the low pressure switch will keep it from engaging even if you move the switch to on. You can convert it to on board air pretty easily. Then you'll want to lubricate it often.
I did it to a 96xj 4.0 motor that is in a 86 CJ-7.

Thanks for the info. This helps alot. Anyone else out there with any info on this would be appreciated. Anyone else leave on the A/C unit? Or did you take it off and measure a new belt?

Kim.

85xjwoody said:
Thanks for the info. This helps alot. Anyone else out there with any info on this would be appreciated. Anyone else leave on the A/C unit? Or did you take it off and measure a new belt?
Kim.

Do a search on this... I read in here somewhere a post about converting the A/C to an air pump by adding an oiler to the inlet and an oil trap/filter(?) to the outlet. This keeps the unit oiled and ready to go anytime. It is something I plan to do whenever I feel itchy and have the time.
And if you find it; please post the link to it here so everyone can find it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did leave it on and is working fine but now I have other problems that I have a few questions about so I will have to start a new thread. Serious vacuum problems.

Back