• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Comanche 87 to 97

Knkn90

NAXJA Forum User
hello all!
i'm planning this swap since a long time, this is my first project of this kind and I am learning in the process, hope you like it...

IMG_3935.png
IMG_3935.png.html

Last edited:
THE DONOR:

I paid $ 900Dlls on craigslist for This 2wd 97 Cherokee With a nice running engine, bushwacker fenders, new tires, 17 "american racing wheels, 1" 5X4.5 to 5X5 spacers, new tires, stereo, and the tank full of gas...
IMG_4065.jpg

I like that front bumper on the Comanche

Frustrated by not finding the original taillights at a reasonable price, I began a early project:

CAD design for the stainless steel tail light housing,

IMG_4644.jpg

IMG_4642.jpg

Then CNC laser cut the stainless steel

IMG_4643.jpg

And making the final folds and measurements

IMG_4276.jpg

Jeep Comanche tail light housing
IMG_4275.jpg

So I finally decided to leave this project to the end and start the real work

Last edited:
Start the teardown

IMG_4092.jpg

IMG_4085.jpg

looking for rust

IMG_4088.jpg

IMG_4086.jpg

IMG_4087.jpg

After seeing the rust that had the Comanche I decided to take a local paint shop and pay for an awful job, they only rivet a plate on top without removing the rust, For now I will leave it like that but in the future will remove the poor job that the paintshop did and I will remove the rust and put a new floor panel.

I buy the Comanche with the engine running perfectly even do the engine harness was not connected and instead of injectors it was running with a Holley carburetor

IMG_3981.jpg

Start removing the Comanche front, fenders, hood etc...

IMG_4609.jpg

IMG_4622.jpg

Just buy this 1 ton shop crane at harbor freight for $100Dlls with a coupon that I have, it works great!

IMG_4623.jpg

After a while I remove the screws from the transmission, a couple were hidden,
Next time I do this I will remove the engine and transmission at the same time

IMG_4635.jpg

Engine, brake master cylinder, engine harness, heater box, power steering box, battery box and everything out

IMG_4689.jpg

Also the interior was removed from the Comanche

IMG_4730.jpg

And the pile of scrap is growing

IMG_4701.jpg

IMG_4702.jpg

Then I paint the engine bay with 3 cans of Duplicolor Engine Enamel with Ceramic and I will use one more can for the final touches

IMG_4696.jpg

Then I paint the engine bay with 3 cans of Duplicolor Engine Enamel with Ceramic and I will use one more can for the final touches

IMG_4696.jpg

A few modifications in the firewall will be made in order to fit the new dashboard to the old comanche

This is the comanche firewall

IMG_4866_1.jpg

and this is the cherokee firewall

IMG_4868.jpg

The most notable difference is the location of the steering hole, this will have to be cut in order to fit the new 97+ steering wheel

Also this conversion is from standard to automatic transmission, so the clutch holes are no longer needed

Cut the plate in half for better manipulation

Then I use the brake master cylinder as a reference

IMG_4896.jpg

Then I paint the difference with a black sharpie to cut it later

IMG_4898.jpg

IMG_4900.jpg

Cut the plate again in 3 pieces

After a while thinking in the method of doing this job I decided to use rivets instead of welding

Grey stuff is seam sealer, this works great!

IMG_4914.jpg

This is how it looks from the outside

IMG_4909.jpg

I apply more seam sealer in both sides after taking the pictures

Last edited:
Back