• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Carnage!

GrimmJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I'm a sucker for some good carnage pics, who broke what? i heard rumors of flops, smashed diff covers.. what else? JV has a tendency to find the weak spots in your rig and beat it to a pulp.

Lets see those carnage pics!

I found the weak spot in my driving.

35lf2qf.jpg

on the first 1/4 of claw there was:
1 broken u-joint in a rear driveshaft
1 rear driveshaft
1 smashed oil pan
1 hard brake line

the only thing that happened to me was after hitting a burm, I knocked my aluminum bumpstop loose.

I had a couple of small tire issues.

Nothing a jack and a little air couldnt fix....
boo.jpg

Nothing about 20 plugs and a bailing wire stitch couldnt fix :D
1212.jpg

l_ab674c10b1d8422898a3a21a91ab4408.jpg

I got my first dent on sledge, dropped my rear drive shaft twice, and broke the front arb fitting off in the housing. great times!

Paul spit a U-Joint:
Rockin_+2009+-+016.jpg

Julio shortened his driveshaft:
Rockin_+2009+-+022.jpg

Rockin_+2009+-+025.jpg

And the YJ Guy killed a pan (no pictures from me).

My list is as follows:

1: Scratches to armor from Claw.
2: Possibly knocked out alignment on Claw (or on whops).
3: After taking a hard hit (my Jeep hats whops!) I killed my start relay and alternator, all I had to do was give my relay a tap with a hammer and tug on some wires to fix both of them. The nice thing though is that it showed me that i have a loose connection in that loom so I'll need to tear into it in the future to fix it, I had the alternator issue in 2007 and never found the cause, it just went away on it's own.
4: Lost 3psi in my front right tire when some dune sand got in my bead.
5: Got a tire out of balance, I suspect I spun the front right on the wheel a bit.
6: I either killed a track bar bushing or it's loose, had a bit of the wet noodle effect on the way home.

So guess the red Jeep wants a weekend of attention one day!

Edit - Oh yeah, I knocked a bolt head off my D30 cover ;)

RockinXJJamboree2009169.jpg

Photo courtesy of Garrett Durand aka HeepSpeed.

awesome pic! Hey Stephan...watch out for that pothole! I bet you are extremely glad you had a cage

awesome pic! Hey Stephan...watch out for that pothole! I bet you are extremely glad you had a cage

PB095345.jpg

The cage really did it's job. W/o it I would have crushed the roof, drivers side door and busted all the drivers side glass. Instead I have a bent cage, and some scratches in the rear drivers side door and a screwed up rear door handle.

I didn't take any pictures, but...

I noticed a noise with my front brakes, that looked like the caliper may have broken.

I had a spindle nut lock washer fail, causing the wheel bearings to fail, hammering on the spindle nut, which let the rotor move too much, breaking the caliper, and bending the caliper mount.

I spent from late sunday till mid monday grinding the spindle down, reshaping the lock washer, putting in new bearings and brakes, and cutting/welding the caliper bracket back in shape.

Thanks to:

parker
matty
goatman
jeprovo
socalbill
jes
paul

and whoever else gave me a hand with that one. :)

I didn't take any pictures, but...

I noticed a noise with my front brakes, that looked like the caliper may have broken.

I had a spindle nut lock washer fail, causing the wheel bearings to fail, hammering on the spindle nut, which let the rotor move too much, breaking the caliper, and bending the caliper mount.

I spent from late sunday till mid monday grinding the spindle down, reshaping the lock washer, putting in new bearings and brakes, and cutting/welding the caliper bracket back in shape.

Thanks to:

parker
matty
goatman
jeprovo
socalbill
jes
paul

and whoever else gave me a hand with that one. :)
Yikes!! Since I got a fever as soon as I made it home, I guess I'm glad I didn't linger, but that's a little more work than a caliper and a couple caliper bolts!! Wish I could've been there to help...but it sounds like you were in good hands. Parker came back out, I'm guessing?

Yikes!! Since I got a fever as soon as I made it home, I guess I'm glad I didn't linger, but that's a little more work than a caliper and a couple caliper bolts!! Wish I could've been there to help...but it sounds like you were in good hands. Parker came back out, I'm guessing?

No, but he left me his power tools in the event I may need them, and then called me Monday evening to make sure I wasn't still out there.

Back