NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old March 15th, 2008, 23:49
NAXJA Forum User

INTERACTIVE (sorta) project frankenstein

Okay, so im 17 and i got my 99 xj last summer. obviously i started "modding" whatever i could as soon as i got it (stickers). i havent done much big stuff other than skids, removing the rear swaybar, getting a roof rack off a grand cherokee (didnt come with one), spraypainting whatever i can see, etc.
Anyway, I ran into some legal difficulties (DUI) and my baby's gonna be sitting in my driveway for the next 3-6 months, so i figured all the money i save on gas should go somewhere useful.
I have a whole notebook full of potential plans (lift -of course-, lights, herculining the interior, removable doors, blah blah blah) and I'd like to see what some more of you guys would WANT to see done to an xj, and maybe i can get around to doing it. I'm not talking axle swaps or 8" lifts -but anything practical or even downright ridiculous, if i think its worth it ill post pics.

i'll be posting more newer pics as soon as i can....as for the lame ass "frankenstein" name--see my other post to help identify this jeep...it is a bastard and has no distinguishing features
Old March 16th, 2008, 00:16
NAXJA Forum User

Re: INTERACTIVE (sorta) project frankenstein

your 17 and already have a dui? maybe you should do a write up on a miniature garage for your moped that you will be riding for the next 3-6 months
Old March 16th, 2008, 00:59
NAXJA Forum User

hey dude,
i'm not a preacher, so i won't try to sound like one.
but you should think twice about something here. A DUI is not something light...

the last cherokee i had, i crashed into a fence because of a late night drinking, and it took me a while to think about it. heres what i got out of it, maybe it'll shed some light to your situation.
1) Going 60, i could have just as easily swerved to the left instead of the right, and hit some shmo driving to work. Yes, people do actually die sometimes in accidents.
2) I wrecked a perfectly good truck, that i loved. It may not have had alot of work done to it, but it was something i cared about.
3) I didn't hit that fence because i "couldn't control the wheel". I hit the fence because i fell asleep. When someone falls asleep behind the wheel, their foot is usually going to rest heavier on the skinny, therefore you'll be going faster when you hit.
4) If i wanted to get a new jeep, or ANY car/truck, I couldn't continue to live (and drive) like a drunk. If i would have kept doing stuff like that, i guarentee to you, my current truck would be at the scrap yard dude.

take it or leave it, but i suggest you don't take it lightly.

in terms of modification, a nice audio set up is always good. If you want a lift, I like rough country, though alot of people don't. 4.5" is a good amount. If you're going to lift it, you're playing with geometry of the steering, so you should also read up about how the steering works, and look into getting a stronger system whether that means starting with a new tie rod, or going straight through with stronger stuff for the track bar, tie rod/drag link, changing out the pitman arm (because of the lift. this will reduce bumps), etc.

the doorless mod can be found here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=408138
and take it a little further..
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=444398

read read read. and don't get screwed and go drive around. my experience has been that even beer and beach-4-wheeling where it's kind of legal don't even mix. that's how i sunk my truck. the first time.
-Liam
Old March 16th, 2008, 21:56
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks for the reply, but no thanks for the preaching (even if you didn't mean to)...i've already gotten every possible talk and i know it wasnt the right decision but i took my friend home 5 minutes away because his dog was hit by a car...it wasnt a joyride or anything like EVERY person seems to imagine when they hear it

ANYWAY thanks for the suggestions and i'll try to get some pics up
Old March 16th, 2008, 21:57
NAXJA Forum User

___
Old March 16th, 2008, 21:58
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowley65flip
your 17 and already have a dui? maybe you should do a write up on a miniature garage for your moped that you will be riding for the next 3-6 months
ouchh, hilarious yet irrelevant reply to my seirous post. i hope the same thing never happens to you.
Old March 16th, 2008, 23:44
NAXJA Forum Addict

how about you save your money for your car insurance. its gonna go through the roof because of your DUI. Also, save it for an attorney for the next time you do it.

17 and a DUI... shit I'd be dead.
01 XJ Sport 2 door 5spd/4WD- 4" lift, Rubi wheels/tires JCR bumpers/sliders, armor, Rubi 44, Ford 8.8, 4.56's, ARBs.
Old March 17th, 2008, 01:00
NAXJA Forum User

Put some tank tracks on it, and wait till your 21 to drink period ...unless your in mexico
Old March 17th, 2008, 02:06
NAXJA Forum User

Hey I'm not going to preach or even sound like I'm preaching. We all make mistakes and who am I to judge.

So first off what are you capabilities with fabrication? Or are you talking bolt on stuff? What kind of wheeling do you do, and how often do you do it? I assume this is going to be a DD?
Old March 17th, 2008, 12:21
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslanderOffRoad
how about you save your money for your car insurance. its gonna go through the roof because of your DUI. Also, save it for an attorney for the next time you do it.

17 and a DUI... shit I'd be dead.

i really do appreciate you taking your time out to judge me instead of responding to my post. its people going above and beyond like you that really make this site worthwhile.
Old March 17th, 2008, 12:26
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastie124
Hey I'm not going to preach or even sound like I'm preaching. We all make mistakes and who am I to judge.

So first off what are you capabilities with fabrication? Or are you talking bolt on stuff? What kind of wheeling do you do, and how often do you do it? I assume this is going to be a DD?

thanks coastie for an ACTUAL reply! ...yeah mainly bolt on's..i'm gonna be doing a 3" lift if you have any suggestions (i'm thinking rusty's full leaf pack). i already have some armor for the gas, TC, and engine which i'm gonna take off and give a coat of rust oleum or something......my wheeling is mainly mud, snow, powerline trails, stuff like that--i wont be rock crawlin anytime soon...and yes its a DD so i'd like to keep my mpg's up as much as i can
thanks,
mike
Old March 17th, 2008, 12:28
NAXJA Forum User

Tard!
Old March 17th, 2008, 12:39
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eataburrito10
i really do appreciate you taking your time out to judge me instead of responding to my post. its people going above and beyond like you that really make this site worthwhile.
Chill out. People here are just trying to help you. You gave the details of your situation, and thus can't expect not to get a reaction about them. No one was trying to run you down.

Read through this thread for some ideas especially if your on a budget, and who isn't these days? http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...=junkyard+mods
Old March 17th, 2008, 12:48
NAXJA Forum User

I think I would get a 3 inch lift 31 inch tires a good set of bumpers here is a pic of my 96 with a 3 in lift and 31's it did great in mud and snow
Old March 17th, 2008, 13:24
has frame envy

First get a new screen name, im burrito. Second well 3-4 inch lift, trim fenders 31's 1 locker, skids all over, recovery, trim fenders some more...

-Alex