• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Car 51 race report

David Taylor

NAXJA Member #570
Did we make it into the big show ? No. But we gave it our best shot and had a great time in the process.

The race report is a little short. Maybe luck wasn't with us from the start. Wednesday afternoon while running the LCQ course
the fuel pump stopped working right at the top of the second fall at back door. We used the radio to call back to camp for a little help.
Paul had a spare fuel pump that we thought was the right. Turns out it wasn't. So pirated the one of his buggy for the LCQ the next morning.

On race day we felt everything was looking good. We had a nice start with a good run up the wash to the start off backdoor.
I couldn't believe how many people were there to watch. We could hear the crowd over the engine. Garry made good time over the
first obstacle. At the first fall we lined up for the launch. I pulled the front winch in to suck down the front. We made one try at it and came up short.
As we were backing down for another shot I could tell the front was light. I hit the winch controller a couple more times, no luck.
My old winch line had broke. That left the front very light for the climb. We gave it hell one last time but that was it. Over we went.
The roll didn't seem bad from in the car. Only a few tubes got bent and the car is fine. I took it out wheeling Saturday.

Video of the roll.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDBhAxituUE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WuZYUxs-jo

Thank you post coming tonight. The help the team got this year was over the top.

I was on the ridge behind when 51 went over, heres the photos I got of the roll
DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

I didn't realize how ... stupid .. that rollover was until I watched the video and saw the bouncing. Without the broken winch cable you'd have walked right up.

You guys did it right, better things have happened to worse people.

Back