• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Ammo Crates

SpazMoid

NAXJA Forum User
So part of the reason I built my Roof Rack the way I did, was to be able to stick some sort of "box" up top to keep my emergency gear in. 1st aid equipment/tools/tow ropes/come-along/ and anything else i could think of that I would not only use only on the trail, but being in the Search and Rescue could come in very handy on trips. I do also stop very frequently for stranded motorists along the freeway.

So a couple days ago, I found some very perfect what i was looking for Ammo Crates, and ordered them off Ebay for $14.99 a piece. They are 2 81mm crates, Steel / Brown. They are water tight, and pretty light weighing in at 7.6lbs each.

P3140052.jpg

The arrived today Fed-Ex, and I immediatly took the oppurtunity of being sick ;) and put them on. I 1st sanded down all the military markings on the side of them, and got them prepped for paint. Ended up painting them the matching black of my roof rack. Then made some attachment angle irons. The boxes did not have any way of being locked which I didn't like, so I welded some tabs to have a lock put in so my stuff doesn't go wandering off. Once all that was done, I put it all together.

P3140053.jpg

Front View
P3140054.jpg

1st one attached
P3140055.jpg

Both Attached
P3140056.jpg

Both semi Filled
P3140057.jpg

I am extremly happy with this, as the added weight up to is next to nothing, the height is flush with the top of the rack, and from the front view of the jeep you can't even really notice that their even there. The are way more roomy then i thought, and i have tons of room still to put misc stuff.

This total build of Ammo Crates cost me $30.00 for the crates, $28.00 shipping. Supplies to put it on, $11.00 Total = $69.00

Next will be the bumpers :)

Whatcha think?

Nice! those look like they turned out really well. And you dont have to worry about the boxes getting beatin up while on the trail with how sturdy those things are.

Tom

I didn't go to a Army/Navy store, as the prices I checked around the Seattle area where higher, and they didn't have this size available. As I said earlier, they had bigger ones, but i wanted 2 medium sized oens.

i acutally have one like that i just keep in the back full of tools its pretty nice and water tight so dont have to worry if u take a trip through a deep river

Hey Spaz which SAR are you involved with? I was considering joining Pierce 4X4 but now just isn't the time for me.

How do you like it?

Cndlpwr

I'm involved with the King SAR, I liked it, but with my very limited schedule becuase i work sooo much, it's hard. Although I have done a couple runs, and it has been interesting. I'd only suggest you do it if you have tons of time on your hands, and can devote a couple days at a time to it.

DrSockMonkey

They gave me an estimate of 4weeks for delivery :( oh well.

Those look nice. I have a couple south african .308 cans that would work for that. I smell a new project, I just need to empty them first.:anon::wave:

I am actually secretivly preparing for an Alaskan Expedition. My Fiance and I have decided to call off Costa Rica Honeymoon, and drive up to Alaska for 3 weeks. I know I know... why call of Costa Rica, well for one it's about $4000.00 for us to go, and second we want something a bit closer and less expensive to be able to go again on our anniverary's.

So everything I add to my jeep is in a thought for our get away. Getting this stuff on the top is nice now there is more space for the gear that CANT get wet inside.

I'm trying to think up a way to put some sort of wind diverter in front of the 2 boxes, as well as in front of my spare, to get some better aero's, as the gas mileage has gone down a bit becuase of the spare being up top. I think i'm going to use some thin wall steel plate, and make some 45degree angled plate in front of them to act as scoops. This should help a bit.

oh. P.S. I'm also possibly getting rid of my 2 lights on my Hood, as well as the 2 lights on my front grill. Just a feeler to see if anyone wants um. They each have 100w H3 bulbs in um. The front Grill gaurd will also be leaving it's Jeep home...

How much for lights and grille guard? A little paint and i will have your old truck.

Spaz said:
I am actually secretivly preparing for an Alaskan Expedition. My Fiance and I have decided to call off Costa Rica Honeymoon, and drive up to Alaska for 3 weeks. I know I know... why call of Costa Rica, well for one it's about $4000.00 for us to go, and second we want something a bit closer and less expensive to be able to go again on our anniverary's.

So everything I add to my jeep is in a thought for our get away. Getting this stuff on the top is nice now there is more space for the gear that CANT get wet inside.

I'm trying to think up a way to put some sort of wind diverter in front of the 2 boxes, as well as in front of my spare, to get some better aero's, as the gas mileage has gone down a bit becuase of the spare being up top. I think i'm going to use some thin wall steel plate, and make some 45degree angled plate in front of them to act as scoops. This should help a bit.

oh. P.S. I'm also possibly getting rid of my 2 lights on my Hood, as well as the 2 lights on my front grill. Just a feeler to see if anyone wants um. They each have 100w H3 bulbs in um. The front Grill gaurd will also be leaving it's Jeep home...

Well I don't want to post too much about prices, or heaven forbid they may move this to the ForSale section.. lol

I will remove the grill gaurd sometime next month, and i'm thinking maybe $50.00 for it as on the drivers side it does have that spot I re-welded from the 4Runner I destroyed with it woops... As far as the lights go, I know you know how much they are, and well they do have $10.00 light bulbs in them. I'd say $30.00 for the 4 ($80.00 value). I"m going to take the lights off probably next week, so I can install the Search Spot light I have.

Spaz said:
Well I don't want to post too much about prices, or heaven forbid they may move this to the ForSale section.. lol

I will remove the grill gaurd sometime next month, and i'm thinking maybe $50.00 for it as on the drivers side it does have that spot I re-welded from the 4Runner I destroyed with it woops... As far as the lights go, I know you know how much they are, and well they do have $10.00 light bulbs in them. I'd say $30.00 for the 4 ($80.00 value). I"m going to take the lights off probably next week, so I can install the Search Spot light I have.

what about the dent in it from last Saturday night?... I wont go any further into it might get this thread moved to the den

Cool project! I'll be looking into getting some of those to use for storage in the rear cargo area.

Do be careful about getting too much weight up top, though. My spare is bad enough before talking about 307 lights, ammo boxes, a shovel, hi-lift, etc. There are some trails that I take my tire down for; I can definitly tell the difference in stability with just that change. Low COG is your friend.

-----Matt-----

Let's make a deal!
Spaz said:

That looks pretty sweet, the ad says 57 pounds each, and you have them two filled and the tires plus the rack, anyone know what the max roof capacity is? I want one of those for my trunk in the back to keep things organized and cleaner.

Back