• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AMC OEM Tire Swing Carrier on a 99 XJ

IH8RDS

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a AMC OEM Tire Swing Carrier + ll the support brackets and bumper from a earlier model XJ at the pick and pull. It cost me $28 total. I took some modification to make it fit but it was pretty easy. DO NOT do this if you have a tire over 31". I had to relocate the licence plate and install a light. I also had to remove the light above the old licence plate location. I also lost the windsheild wiper too. Didn't use it anyway.

Cleaned it all up
Tire%20Swing.JPG

done.JPG

done1.JPG

done2.JPG

Last edited:
i also sourced one of these swing out carriers at a junkyard in monterey, ca for 22.00 , if you do , dont forget to take the reinforcement in the bumper and the rear quarterpanel as well.

say, i did some reading and they said once the bushings wear out the fun is over, where can i get those replaced? is there a kit one can buy for this? mine has been on for years and is not starting to klunk each now and then. i put oil on it sometimes but still started wearing.

looks great!

john

I have been getting some PM's, about this and here is some more info:

A question was asked about keeping/modifying the stock bumper(before the swing out bumper)

I was origionally going to do that but when I got home and mocked it up I realized that it would be alot eaiser with the swing out bumper. It can be done. But you will have to weld a plate in where the right lower mount is to stiffin it up. I went back the next day and picked up the bumper. The bumpers are almost identical and you can reuse your end caps as well. The bumper mounting brackets are very simular too so you will not need those.

My recomendation is get the whole thing.
Swingout
bumper
right lower brace behind the bumper
right upper inner brace
bumper pad
lanyard

Why did you have to get rid of the rear wiper??,too big of tire?? My 32x10.5x15 fits with lots of room to spare. Just the way I/ or you mounted it?

Gotcha, Can't remember the last time I even used my rear wiper!

Back