• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

a part time"PART TIME 4WD"light

DPC

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering if any body has had this. The last time I went wheeling with the XJ I noticed that the part time light (using 4HI) would go out and then I would put the trans in neutral and it would come back on again. It did this several times but never felt like it wasn't working in 4wheel and did not do this in 4LO.

It is a 90' w/4.0 and Auto w/242 tcase.

Any info would help

Thanks

Mine's always done that too. Actually both, my '89 and '92. I just chalk it up to a crazy little neuance. If it doesn't engage, just fiddle with it and it'll go in. The NP242 in my '92 does this with all three ranges (full time, part time, and 4 low), but it doesn't really bother me.:)

<<<Just wondering if any body has had this. The last time I went wheeling with the XJ I noticed that the part time light (using 4HI) would go out and then I would put the trans in neutral and it would come back on again. It did this several times but never felt like it wasn't working in 4wheel and did not do this in 4LO.>>>

My 90 Grand Wagoneer (FSJ) did the same thing. I found the wire to the sensor on the side of the transmission was frayed and making a poor connection. I put a new end on it and plugged it back. No problem since. Could be a corroded connector too. Hope this helps.

Had that same problem after installing a TeraLow 4:1 in my NP231. Remove the connector for the sensor on the side of the t-case, clean the prongs and put a dab of dielectric grease on the pins then reconnect the connector. No more problems since then.

Thanks for your help. I will check the connector when I get a chance. I was mostly worried it might be something more but since it seems to be a common problem( XJ's have alot of them), then I will just add it to the list.

I do have another question though. I was pulling a buddy out of a situation using 4LO and got a loud pop out of the front(way front like the D30, not under me). The T-case then wouldn't shift out of part time. It took about 10 minutes of back and forth movement and lever movement to get it to go. Now it seems ok. Could this have to do with the disconect in the fron axle?

thanks again

Dan

The noise you heard certainly could be the axle disconnect. While pulling you friend out the vacuum might have decreased for a period of time and caused the actuator to partially disengage. I would check around for vacuum leaks as a possibile cause.
Since my 98 does not have quite the same setup as yours; this is only an educated guess.

My understanding is that with a failure in vaccum, the default is that the mechanism stays in whichever mode it was in at the time of the failure. If you were in 2wd at the time or failure, you will not be able to use 4wd and vice-versa. Maybe the loud pop was your front axle outboard U-joints located directly behind your front hubs. If you shake each axle with your hand and sense any play in the joints, they are bad. When they go bad, the pops tend to be more pronounced when turning.

Back