NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old March 7th, 2009, 17:53
NAXJA Forum User

Ebay headers

Looking at the headers on ebay, prefer the ones with the flex in the tubes. Who has had the best luck with fit and which buyer.
I looked at these two, they seem the same.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...1%7C240%3A1318
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...1%7C240%3A1318
Old March 7th, 2009, 19:37
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Ebay headers

The Chinese price is great, but to me, the bellows make no sense. I don't see how they would change the common cracking issue which has been attributed to worn out engine mounts.
Old March 7th, 2009, 21:00
NAXJA Forum User

rich, just get the APN, you know you want it anyway
Old March 7th, 2009, 21:04
NAXJA Forum User

Those look like a standard replacment manifold? As said the cracking issue still looks apparant there. Power also wont change with these. I dont know what to say... those both dont look any good.

I would keep searching. Good luck
Old March 8th, 2009, 04:37
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbeater View Post
The Chinese price is great, but to me, the bellows make no sense. I don't see how they would change the common cracking issue which has been attributed to worn out engine mounts.
I"m looking for the flex tube type they put on the newer 4.0 TJ's, mines been welded about 5 times now but the next crack that is just starting is out of reach of the welder so I figure if it has to come off I might as well replace it so if it does crack again I can start with a clean sheet of paper so to say
Old March 8th, 2009, 05:46
NAXJA Forum User

Rich i have this header.....I bought it from a company called best automotive on Ebay...The header has a Liftime on it. This Header is Huge way bigger than a stock header. Its built like a tank fits like a glove....APN has a reputation of cracking but they have probally fixed that by now. I wouldnt spent any more $$ on a header than this one... you wont gain anything for the extra $. I have 10K on mine now with 0 issue's.
Old March 8th, 2009, 06:30
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 jeepjeep View Post
Rich i have this header.....I bought it from a company called best automotive on Ebay...The header has a Liftime on it. This Header is Huge way bigger than a stock header. Its built like a tank fits like a glove....APN has a reputation of cracking but they have probally fixed that by now. I wouldnt spent any more $$ on a header than this one... you wont gain anything for the extra $. I have 10K on mine now with 0 issue's.
Which header !?!?!?!
and what is APN ?
Old March 8th, 2009, 06:34
NAXJA Forum User

APN is a brand of header sold for the 4.0. I have the same one from ebay your looking at but i bought mine from best automotive...go back on ebay and look for the comapny that uses the girl to model off the header.
Old March 8th, 2009, 08:29
NAXJA Forum User

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/91-99...Q5fAccessories
Old March 8th, 2009, 08:37
NAXJA Forum User

I'll probably go with this one, I like the flex pipes, might help it not to flex/crack again.
http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2/..._Code=CHEROKEE

I'll keep them all in mind though.
Old March 8th, 2009, 09:10
NAXJA Forum User

HOly 200 Dollars
Old March 8th, 2009, 09:34
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP View Post
I'll probably go with this one, I like the flex pipes, might help it not to flex/crack again.
http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2/..._Code=CHEROKEE

I'll keep them all in mind though.
Why do you think that one is any better than the one on ebay for $89 from Breast Automotive? They look the same. What about the turbulence that those bellows would create in the outer two pipes? Sure doesn't seem like those reduce the stress where they crack at the last collector.
Old March 8th, 2009, 10:43
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbeater View Post
Why do you think that one is any better than the one on ebay for $89 from Breast Automotive? They look the same. What about the turbulence that those bellows would create in the outer two pipes? Sure doesn't seem like those reduce the stress where they crack at the last collector.
Mostly from what one of my customers and friend says, he does quite a few jeeps, his main comment was that once jeep started using the flex coupled headers from the factory he noticed that he never got one in for repair of the exhaust manifold except for loose or missing fasteners. One of the neat things you can do with the shop key software is searches, 'exhaust manifold weld', all the jeeps that came up with that repair were 2000 on back, TJ's, XJ's and ZJ's plus a few WJ's too as well as a bunch of Neons and other cars which I thought was interesting. I'm still looking around, I may hit a pick and pull and yank a used on off, we'll see, I'm not in a hurry as mine is just a pinhole right now that I can live with.
Old March 8th, 2009, 10:47
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 jeepjeep View Post
I haven't heard of apn's cracking. I put one on mine a few months back and have had no problems since.
Old March 8th, 2009, 11:05
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeftwillP View Post
I haven't heard of apn's cracking. I put one on mine a few months back and have had no problems since.
I had no problem with my 98 for almost 7 years and 200K miles, once I started doing a lot of local driving, close by service calls, a 15 minute run up to the raceway where it barely got warmed up vs a 70 mi one way commute thats when trouble started showing up. Now that I have a solid 25mi/30 minute commute I figure that should even out.