NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old December 2nd, 2009, 19:35
NAXJA Forum User

Transfercase drop. manual crossmember in auto = drop?

I was reading in the junkyard upgrades thread that the Manual crossmember in a auto works out to a 3/4" drop without loosing ground clearance. Is this true? Anyone done it? If so this would be great
Old December 3rd, 2009, 02:33
NAXJA Member

Re: Transfercase drop. manual crossmember in auto = drop?

I know that on the 96's there are 2 different cross members for the auto and manual. I have one of the AX15 cross members and it does have a drop in it.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 07:15
<---respect

Re: Transfercase drop. manual crossmember in auto = drop?

I'm having the same discussion on a different board at the moment, so I'll post this pic here too. This is the AX15 crossmember (on my MJ).....you can see the center section where it is dished out, where the tranny mount attaches.

FWIW, this Xmember is specific to only the AX15......AX4/5, BA10/5, AW4 all use the same Xmember that is not dished out. I found this out the hard way when I converted to a 4.0/AX15 from a 2.5/AX5. I tried to reuse my AX5 Xmember and the TC linkage didn't line up at all, and the cat coverter/exhaust flange was hitting the floorboard. Had to pull an AX15 out of the junkyard to make it all play nice.

Jeff