NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Other Technical Forums > Advanced Fabrication and Engineering
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Advanced Fabrication and Engineering For when your build is going off the charts. Wildly modified vehicles and straight up buggies welcome.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 9th, 2018, 07:47
NAXJA Member #1145

Drop-out center transmission crossmember

Folks-

Quick question- I am building a tranny crossmember for my S10. It's 2X6X0.250 rectangular steel tubing, going to go right across the bottom of the frame rails (it just happens to work for my build- need to drop the tranny tailshaft about an inch). I want to be able to still get the transmission out, and I may well build off this for control arms front/rear if I go to links. So I will be gussetting the hell out of it, and plating/boxing the frame in the vicinity with 3/16.

As for the dropout- I figured I'd just borrow a page from a lot of the builds I have seen, and go with flat plate flanges to marry up the three sections (welded-on sections undr the frame, and the dropout). Would 1/4" be sufficient in that application? I will be using 4 1/2" bolts at each side.