• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Scam figured out.. this is cool in a sick way..

jeepgeek2002

NAXJA Forum User
So.. last night im looking on CL like i always do .. laughing on crazy people selling stupid stuff.
but i find this:
2001 XJ Long Arm $2900
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/1762709821.html

i ll copy the ad in case it gets flagged.

640 Jeeps in the world will have these wheels, but this Jeep has 5 of them), Hand Made Steel Front and Rear Bumpers Painted to match the Jeep, Brand New Winch (Never Wired in, but All Wiring and Controls Included, Cat-Back Magnaflow Exhaust, 5 Brand New 35" Kumho Road Venture M/T Tires, Crossover Steering, Bushwacker Cutout Flares

If you are interested , please email me at : [email protected]
Thanks

So i email the seller.. " hey is that a typo? 2900 for a sweet xj like that?
let me know.. "

I get this back today:
Hi
I am selling this SUV because my brigade will deploy for 14 months to Afghanistan. I'm under enormous time pressure cause I need to sell it fast, before June 12th that being the reason for selling it so low. It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained and hasn't been involved in any accident...I do have the title, clear, under my name.The car has 92,753 original miles VIN# 1J4FF48S81L553009.
It is still available for sale if interested, price as stated in the ad $2,900. The car is in Camp Atterbury, IN ,and in case it gets sold I will take care of shipping. Let me know if you are interested, email back. Below is the car details and also link with more photos.
You can find more pics at : http://picasaweb.google.com/2001 Jeep Cherokee LONG ARM

Body type: SUV Engine: 6 Cylinder 4.0 Liter Transmission: Automatic Fuel type: Gasoline
Exterior color: Silver Interior color: Gray
Hand Made Steel Front and Rear Bumpers Painted to match the Jeep, Brand New Winch (Never Wired in, but All Wiring and Controls Included, Cat-Back Magnaflow Exhaust, 5 Brand New 35" Kumho Road Venture M/T Tires, Crossover Steering, Bushwacker Cutout Flares
Thank You
Sally Jordan

so.. sounds like a total scam? yeah and no.. so i investigate..
and i find this link:
http://timheuer.com/blog/archive/2009/06/03/scamming-the-craigslist-scammers.aspx

lol i love the internet!
read the 1st story..
CLASSIC!

Mark

it was on ebay a while ago. for sale from a dealer who claimed to do all the work if i recall correctly. said that they got a lot of clean vehicles and drove them around/put money into them before selling them when they got bored.

but i think the price was more beleivable when it was listed there.

I had a similar experience with a Yamaha Grizzly listed on eBay. The seller was vague in the ad and the price too good to be true. I responded out of curiosity and the seller was very motivated, BUT wanted the money transferred via a Western Union wire transfer. This was the first thing to raise the radar. On further investigation the money would be transferred to a Canadian address, now on high alert I decided this was not such a good deal and called it off. I reported the incident to eBay and they did respond after couple of days confirming the deal was indeed a scam. In addition I also found out that the wire transfer is the preferred method for payment. By using this payment method the scammer gets your money and you have NO means of tracking or retrieving your cash once it is picked up. If I have learned nothing else from my transactions on eBay and Craigslist its buyer beware. Because once you hit the buy it button you are at the mercy of the seller and the online venue is NOT going to be much help when you discover that you have been screwed.

I came across an 02 Tacoma Double cab with the same sceneario, they sent me that email about going through ebay. I replied with something along the lines of I will only do cash in person and they never got back tom.

update..
since i knew it was a scam and to find out more on this BS..
i emailed her back:"
is there a phone i can contact you and discuss payment arrangments..."

heres what i got back the next day:
"Hi again,
As I've told you, at this moment I am in IN state in a military base, getting ready for Afghanistan (I hope for the last time). I do a special training program each day and I am not allowed to get out of the unit or give calls whenever I want. The shipping will take 3 to 5 days depending on your location and it’s not a problem because i have considerable discount from eBay and I can do it at no cost for you. As long as I'm dealing with eBay and they can ship the vehicle anywhere in the US,I listed the car in several states because it increases my chances to get it sold much faster. I want to mention that the vehicle was inspected by eBay and fulfills the CO2 Emission standards from all the 50 states so it wouldn't be a problem for you to register it in your state. You will receive the car along with all the documents including title, bill of sale, 2 set of keys, full service records and more. Because it is a large transaction, we will complete the deal only using an authorized third part like eBay coz I already prearranged the whole process with them, using their Escrow Safe Pay Solutions for vehicles not listed on their website. The car is located in their warehouse in IN (ready for delivery). In this case, I will offer a 5-day period to inspect the car from the moment you`ll receive it, before I'll have your money. I think this is more than fair for both of us. The payment will be handled by eBay Escrow, and you will benefit of 5 days inspection time period (test drive) and the option to accept or reject the car on my expense. If you are still interested just send me your full name and shipping address. I will forward your info to eBay and they will notify you about our deal. This way you'll be able to talk directly with them and ask all you want to know.
Regards!!
Sally Jordan"

Good catch...i was selling a stereo on CL a yr or so ago. Dude gave me a long story about it being a gift to his family in S Africa (i think). He didnt want his family knowing it came from him...he wanted me to ship to Africa and pay me some HUGE amount...like $500 just for shipping. Heck the stereo was only $200. I told him we could meet face to face, he have cash and i'll sell it to him for $50!! I knew it was BS...just wanted to have a little fun! I never heard from him again.

Too stupid, first it's ebay and then it's Google

I am selling this SUV because my brigade will deploy for 14 months to Afghanistan. I'm under enormous time pressure cause I need to sell it fast, before June 12th that being the reason for selling it so low. It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained and hasn't been involved in any accident...I do have the title, clear, under my name.The car has 92,753 original miles VIN# 1J4FF48S81L553009.
It is still available for sale if interested, price as stated in the ad $2,900. The car is in Camp Atterbury, IN ,and in case it gets sold I will take care of shipping. Let me know if you are interested, email back. Below is the car details and also link with more photos.
You can find more pics at: http://picasaweb.google.com/2001 Jeep Cherokee LONG ARM

Body type: SUV Engine: 6 Cylinder 4.0 Liter Transmission: Automatic Fuel type: Gasoline
Exterior color: Silver Interior color: Gray
Hand Made Steel Front and Rear Bumpers Painted to match the Jeep, Brand New Winch (Never Wired in, but All Wiring and Controls Included, Cat-Back Magnaflow Exhaust, 5 Brand New 35" Kumho Road Venture M/T Tires, Crossover Steering, Bushwacker Cutout Flares
Thank You
Sally Jordan
Hi again,
As I've told you, at this moment I am in IN state in a military base, getting ready for Afghanistan (I hope for the last time). I`m doing a special training program each day and I am not allowed to get out of the unit or give calls whenever I want. The shipping will take 3 to 5 days depending on your location and it’s not a problem because i have considerable discount from eBay and I can do it at no cost for you. As long as I'm dealing with eBay and they can ship the vehicle anywhere in the US,I listed the car in several states because it increases my chances to get it sold much faster. I want to mention that the vehicle was inspected by eBay and fulfills the CO2 Emission standards from all the 50 states so it wouldn't be a problem for you to register it in your state. You will receive the car along with all the documents including title, bill of sale, 2 set of keys, full service records and more. Because it is a large transaction, we will complete the deal only using an authorized third part like eBay coz I already prearranged the whole process with them, using their Escrow Safe Pay Solutions for vehicles not listed on their website. The car is located in their warehouse in IN (ready for delivery). In this case, I will offer a 5-day period to inspect the car from the moment you`ll receive it, before I'll have your money. I think this is more than fair for both of us. The payment will be handled by eBay Escrow, and you will benefit of 5 days inspection time period (test drive) and the option to accept or reject the car on my expense. If you are still interested just send me your full name and shipping address. I will forward your info to eBay and they will notify you about our deal. This way you'll be able to talk directly with them and ask all you want to know.
Regards!!
Sally Jordan
Hi again,
As I've told you, at this moment I am in IN state in a military base, getting ready for Afghanistan (I hope for the last time). I`m doing a special training program each day and I am not allowed to get out of the unit or give calls whenever I want. The shipping will take 3 to 5 days depending on your location and it’s not a problem because I can do it at no cost for you. I want to mention that the vehicle was inspected by Google Checkout and fulfills the CO2 Emission standards from all the 50 states so it wouldn't be a problem for you to register it in your state. You will receive the car along with all the documents including title, bill of sale, 2 set of keys, full service records and more. Because it is a large transaction, we will complete the deal only using an authorized third part like Google Checkout coz I already prearranged the whole process with them, using their Google Safe Pay Solutions for vehicles not listed on their website. The car is located in their warehouse in IN (ready for delivery). In this case, I will offer a 5-day period to inspect the car from the moment you`ll receive it, before I'll have your money. I think this is more than fair for both of us. The payment will be handled by Google Checkout, and you will benefit of 5 days inspection time period (test drive) and the option to accept or reject the car on my expense. If you are still interested just send me your full name and shipping address. I will forward your info and the official transaction will be started and you will be contacted by Google Checkout agents.
Regards!!
Sally Jordan

Dude Im buyin that Jeep from Sally, naw just messin. Stupid people fall for it tho.

scammers dont think...

you are on a military base and have little to no phone access due to duties but are on a computer regularly to write emails. ok, nice try funny guy. if anything you would be allowed a phone call only once in a while to let friends/family know your still on this earth.

scammers dont think? lol. if they dont think, that makes anyone who's fallen for any scam even more stupid.

as allways, blame the retards, not the wolves. theyre just hustlin for something better, thats the american way.

a fool and his money are soon parted, scammers are just nature's economic vulture's.

You know I searched the vin code one time in google and it pulled up the real listing of the vehicle from a legit dealer they stole the information from. So next time google the vin number.

Last edited:
Back