• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator Relocation - Super Simple!

Seems like a shit tonne of work... i unbolted it from down below, and rebolted it in up top, only fab/modification i had was to drill 2 3/8ths holes in a peice of metal about 1.25" apart, and clearance that bannnanna bracket. a couple new bolts, and a 1/2" washer stack... done.

K.I.S.S.

Grinding alternator case's for clearance is stupid.... have fun when you blow an alternator on the trail, or even the street. I can replace an alternator in 15 minutes, without having to grind anything. And thats a CS-144...

Got pics of your method?? Doesnt make sense to me... And there is no grinding of the alternator in this write up...it is grinding of the alternator bracket not the case.

Was out wheeling with DubbleJ August long weekend and he showed me the mod. Been wanting to do this myself on my last jeep before I rolled it. Decided to git'r done on the new XJ. Here are my pics:

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/211/img20120819182118.jpg/]

[/URL]

I removed the pulley for the clutch fan altogether as I'll be installing an electric fan in place of it. Just used the grinder to chop it off the bracket.
Ended up using a 76.3" belt.

will this work on my 1999 xj i want to try it this weeked can i use the same alternator thats in my jeep and what belt do i use for it thanks

95 DEVILLE alt in place of a/c compressor, no drilling direct bolt. I did fab a rear brace out of a piece of steel. same belt. I DID leave the stock alternator in place, I have a use for it!

Last edited:
95 DEVILLE alt in place of a/c compressor, no drilling direct bolt. I did fab a rear brace out of a piece of steel. same belt. I DID leave the stock alternator in place, I have a use for it!

Yep im ressurecting an old thread. Could you elaborate? Was this on a Renix or a 91+ ?

Sorry but I'm going to resurrect this thread again. I have an 88 4.0. The AC has never worked since I bought it. I had reason to pull the heater core so while I was in there I removed the evaporator. Now, what to do with the compressor? My compressor has the 2 long bolts that go in at the bottom parallel to the engine. Can the alternator be relocated to this spot easily? Would I need to get a new AC bracket? I think this is a better option than the delete pulley and I have no need for OBA. Thanks for any insight you can give. I have been searching forums for about a month now with no luck.

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk

I did this mod. I bought a bracket off of eBay for $50 to relocate the alternator. Removing the AC condenser was the best mod yet. You don't relazie how much that blocks air flow of the radiator. I did have to try 3 different sep belts I found the right size.

Will the renix alternator move in place of the AC compressor without a bracket? I bought an idler bracket and it was the wrong one. I would like to move the alternator up to where the compressor is.

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk

Back