• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Kingston Peak Adopt-a-Road report.

Hypoid

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Awesome day today!

DSCN2997.jpg

:)

Kingston Peak report

Three vehicles represented our chapter: 1 XJ, 1 JK, and 1 XK. The JK and XK still had temps tags, so, kudos to them!

Kingston%20Peak%2008162015%20.jpg

The stats:
25 4WD’s
38 ATV’s
7 Motorcycles
7 Hikers
6 stops for litter

We drove the trail from North to South, starting from Apex Road & FS 353. Since the campgrounds were still in use, we did not disturb the campers. From the drive-by, the camping areas looked clean, much better than last year!

Back in April, our FS contact mentioned a project set for August 13: “It is a project led by our Wildlife Biologist, removing old unneeded range fence is very beneficial to large tasty wildlife (like elk and deer) which can get entangled in the wire.” As we drove the road from the camp sites, we saw rolls of old barbed wire by the side of the trail.

After the obligatory run through the mud puddles, we headed up. At the second leg of the shelf road, above the overlook, the owner of stock Commander called it quits. My buddy in the new JK (1freaky1), called it a day, and got the XK home. Soon enough, I was glad the stocker called it quits: The fun factor was about to diminish for him, which is not my idea of a good time.

After the shelf road crests, the soil erosion gets worse. There were a few sections of road where I could not see where the road actually was. Even the bypasses were eroding into the drainage. If a stock XJ were to attempt this section of trail, there would be some tire-spin and tug straps involved in getting through it.

Kingston%20Peak%2008162015%202.jpg

About ¼ mile north of the Rock House, is a split in the road. Looking at it from the bottom of the hill, I watched an FJ Cruiser spin tires trying to get up the side that looked like a straight line to the top. I took the side that runs cross-ways to gravity. At the top, the ‘Straight” approach was staked off. I drove to the bottom and started looking around for the marker that should have been at the bottom. It was laying in the weeds, maybe fifteen to twenty feet from the road. I set the stake back on the lower portion, using what was available at that moment.

Kingston%20Peak%2008162015%20%208.jpg
Kingston%20Peak%2008162015%20%2016.jpg

After that, the rest of the trail was in good shape, and, as enchanting as ever.

Kingston%20Peak%2008162015%20%205.jpg

Kingston%20Peak%2008162015%20%2011.jpg

Kingston%20Peak%2008162015%20%2017.jpg

Finally!

Kingston%20Peak%2008162015%20%2022.jpg

NAXJA:cheers:NAXJA

Hi Guys,

My name's Marco.. I'm with Rising Sun 4x4 Club here in Co. We work with the Boulder Ranger district as well as Clear creek on our adopt-a-roads which are Argentine Pass and Jenny Creek. Recently there has been discussion about Kingston Peak from both the Clear Creek side as well as the Boulder side.. As far as I understand it NORAC has adopted it from a Boulder side (I think) and the question is is it adopted by you guys on the Clear Creek side (or both?!) still?

Hi Marco, thanks for rolling up your sleeves and representing our community!

We gave up Kingston Peak and adopted the Saxon/Cascade Creek trail system. Brant Wobig would be the person to ask about Kingston Peak.

:thumbup:

Back