• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

high vs. low pinion d30 cover

jeepster_259

NAXJA Forum User
So, I just put in an auburn ected locker in my d30. I installed a diff cover from a low pinion d30 because it already had the electrical plug installed in it. My 98 is a high pinion d30. Well. After installing the cover, I noticed that the fill/drain plug is 1" lower than my high pinion cover.

Will this be a problem in not allowing me to run enough diff fluid or will I be ok? I just don't want to go through the PITA off having to install the electrical plug in my old diff cover and all that crap if I don't have to.

I cant really say its not safe but I bet that 1 inch makes a big diff on a HP diff in fluid capacity. Drag racers run low fluid in diffs for less resistance though. Does that plug have to be in the cover? Could you put it through the diff case instead?

Put the extra in as it was added to make sure enough oil got to the higher pinion bearings.
I got the manufacturer to add the higher plug in on my forged covers just for that reason.

How%20to4.jpg

The above shows the difference between the old Dana 30 cover with the lower fill plug on the left and the new one which I asked to have the higher fill plug plus a drain plug added.

yeah, for the short term, I'm just going to do the park on hill and fill trick. But I am going to swap the covers and re-install the plug for the locker. I need to have it going by this weekend, though, and don't have the time to do that yet.

Back