• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake line flaring tool

bails85

NAXJA Forum User
Where can I find a good flairing tool for a good price? Also is there any advice or directions to make a good flair? And how to identify what type of flair to use

I picked up a double flaring setup at NAPA when i needed it in a pinch, think i paid close to $90, probably cheaper on ebay and amazon. This works fine for me unless i'm working on a hardline to an ABS pump, which needs a bubble flare.. i made due with a double flare not totally collapsed.

Youtube has plenty of vids to teach you the ropes.

I've absolutely hated the bar & yoke style flare tools. I picked up a plier style flare tool 10 years ago, from JCWhitney of all places (no longer available there.) Since then, I've found it on a few hardware store shelves, unfortunately without the double flare button adapters. I've even made a good double flare on the Jeep, upside down and dripping brake fluid.

http://www.generaltools.com/152--PLIER-FLARING-TOOL_p_127.html

I used the HF flare set. Not the best quality, but the price was right, and with a little practice, good flares can be made.

Hint: lube the section to be flared, inside and out, as well as the button adapter inside, and the little dimple where the clamp point goes.

Where can I find a good flairing tool for a good price? Also is there any advice or directions to make a good flair? And how to identify what type of flair to use

There are three types of flares; single, double, bubble

The XJ uses bubble flares at the MC (for the dual diaphragm models) but otherwise all other flares are double. The factory lines are hard as hell and will give you trouble flaring them. The store bought line flares much more easily.

I use the bar/yoke style flaring tools and they work fine you just have to get the line clamped tightly into the die or it will slip and give you a substandard flare that will leak.

Ok I did a little searching and with the advice here I kinda got it figured out. Now Im going to install the wj master on my xj. As far as the ends go are they all the same. And is the brake line 3/16? Are there metric sizes or are they all standard?

I got mine off of amazon and it worked well. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00061SGG8/ref=oss_product)
2 main points that will make or break your flare.

1. Tighten the crap out of the clamp thing!
2. Make the distance of line protruding from the clamp the height of the base of the flare die for that size line.

Everything else is pretty obvious.
Kind of a bad angle go to the first level not the second.
fe61b36d.jpg

Ok I did a little searching and with the advice here I kinda got it figured out. Now Im going to install the wj master on my xj. As far as the ends go are they all the same. And is the brake line 3/16? Are there metric sizes or are they all standard?

The MC fittings are metric, the prop valve and all 4 ends at the axles are standard. The MC uses bubble flares and has two different size fittings but use the same 3/16 line

Nope follow your lines.

That plier style one Jeff linked looks pretty nice.

I have bought two flaring kits. The first was the one from the plumbing aisle in home depot, works great, does the job, just has no double flaring buttons.

The second was the HF kit. It SUCKED. The knurling in the bars was so weak (go go chinese metallurgy...) that it didn't hold the tube. Fortunately, it came with fairly good flaring buttons, so I simply threw everything out except those and the plastic case and put my original home depot flaring bars and yoke in it.

By itself, it only produces single flares. The button adapters are required to make a double flare. The bar & yoke style tools are the same way.

Read Post #3 again.

Back