• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fire extinguisher refill

WebDog

NAXJA Forum User
So I managed to set a fire in my garage today while cutting some metal, so my jeeps fire extinguisher needs to be checked / filled. Any places on the west side that do that?

Depending on your fire extinguisher you might just want to pop for a new one. The ones we have in the work trucks cost more to refill than replace

I hate that. It goes against my anti-wasteful tendencies. That and mass produced disposable crap is usually just crap. I've got a couple of extinguishers that are that, it's hard to find a compact one built like they used to be.

I try to get the recycled ones but they arnt allways available in the right size/type. Osha requires a speced size and type based on the truck and equipment that the crew has on board. Its aggrivating as all hell to order 6 differnt ones but that's what's required. I was able to get a number aluminum body ones that are servicable but to fill them is like $25 each plus certs and they arnt usable in every crews equipment list so my boss says to get the cheap plastic ones from grainger. Used ones come home with me where I give them to the fire department for recycling

I do know that i am going to get a extinguisher for the garage, if i did not have the jeep unlocked and open it could have gotten out of hand easily.

The one i have in the jeep is the perfect size, but ill see what refill cost vs new.

You didn't have one, bad boy!

All garages need at least one you can easily get to in an urgent situation. You should also have one in the kitchen.

I've only got one in my garage since it's so small, wheneer I get a larger garage I'll likely have two larger ones in there.

I picked up some dented dry chem 20lb extinguishers and some old water ext from a fire protection company. They swap them out if they are dented in any way in a comercial application, but are fully functional. The old water extinguishers are great when welding/ grinding as you can knock out a burning rag or debris that you can't reach or stomp out and not have dry chem everywhere. Afterward just top them off with more water and charge it with an air compressor.

Back