• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

QUICK STEP BY STEP ON FUEL PUMP REPLACEMENT

afjeep2082

NAXJA Forum User
HEY GUYS MY FUEL PUMP WENT OUT AND I JUST NEED A QUICK STEP BY STEP ON HOW TO REPLACE IT PLEASE :)

I WILL HAVE NO ACCESS TO A SERVICE MANUEL AND LIMITED ACCESS TO A COMPUTER OR ELSE I WOULD SEARCH MORE AS SOME OF YOU MIGHT SUGGEST I DO. I WOULD GREATLY APRECIATE ANYONES HELP

1993 JEEP CHEROKEE SPORT
AUTOMATIC
4WD

disconnect the battery (sparks + gas dont mix)
pull off the wiring harness and fuel lines
use a brass punch to remove the lockring
pull the pump and all that mess out
put the new pump in and replace the seal
put the lockring on and hook the lines and wiring back up

No service manual and won't go buy a book...

One step:
Go to a local shop and have them replace it for you.

If you insist on doing it yourself...
Before doing any of the steps listed in a previous post, get the truck as low on gas as possible. If you pop the sender and there's gas there, you will wish there wasn't.

The brass drift step is no joke. If you use a steel one, and it sparks, you may have a bad day.

Remember that bulk fuel ( the wet stuff ) is less dangerous than the vapors. Vapors + Spark is bad. Vapors + Spark + Confined space is very bad.

Zuki-Ron said:
The brass drift step is no joke. If you use a steel one, and it sparks, you may have a bad day.

Remember that bulk fuel ( the wet stuff ) is less dangerous than the vapors. Vapors + Spark is bad. Vapors + Spark + Confined space is very bad.

Burned a house down nd nearly lost my life taking out a gas tank. Heed the warning please, we don't need another Sparky on the board.

Back