• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case dilema

Dillinger

NAXJA Forum User
This may seem like an OEM question to begin with.
My transfercase is actually turning the front driveshaft as the truck goes down the road with the command trac pulled to 2WD.

Here's the modified portion of the equation. I run a full sized reverse spiral 44 up front with lockouts. I have confirmed that the axle shafts are not turning, so it isn't the axle end that is spinning. The actual driveshaft revolution is being forced by the transfer case, despite the fact that the shifter is pulled to 2WD operation.

I have checked the linkage under the jeep as well. I am missing the nasty little grommet/bushing in the leverage spot, but when I manually force the case into 2WD position and then attempt to drive, the front shaft still spins.

What inside of the case could cause this? Is the nylon fork insert somehow able to fail in placing the sprockets along the main shaft? If one of those were destroyed and fell off of the fork, would this cause the problem?
These are my first hand suspicions, but if someone has experienced an exact cause for it, and more over, an exact fix, I'd like to hear more about it.

Appreciate the feedback.

Have you checked to see if it is really under power or is it just free-wheeling?

I have seen that happen. There's enough friction in the t-case to cause the front shaft to spin without being engaged.
Try locking your hubs and do a few figure-8s in a parking lot somewhere. You'll be able to tell right away if the t-case is really in 4WD or not.
Let us know what you find, Dean.

Yeah, first thing is to be certain that the case is actually engaged, it will turn under friction alone. Since you said that it is engaged, bad things can happen if those plastic tabs are gone. The shift clearance in those t-cases is pretty tight, and it may not be able to fully disengage 4wd if the tabs are gone.

Also, those rubber gromets in the linkage will cause serious shifting problems if they are worn out, but you said that you shifted it manually. Make absolutely certain that you are shifting it into 2wd hi, if you are, it looks like the t-case is coming out for an inspection. :)

Goatman said:
Yeah, first thing is to be certain that the case is actually engaged, it will turn under friction alone. Since you said that it is engaged, bad things can happen if those plastic tabs are gone. The shift clearance in those t-cases is pretty tight, and it may not be able to fully disengage 4wd if the tabs are gone.

Also, those rubber gromets in the linkage will cause serious shifting problems if they are worn out, but you said that you shifted it manually. Make absolutely certain that you are shifting it into 2wd hi, if you are, it looks like the t-case is coming out for an inspection. :)

Well, I've disengaged it by hand, and double checked myself to which way I was clicking the selector. Both you and Bill have suggested that it is enough to spin the shaft if not enough resistance is offered. Well, it is spinning the ring and pinion ever so slightly (as it is completely running free at the hubs.)
The front axle shafts do spin when it's on the ground- and they won't turn when I spin the tires by hand on a lift.

I appreciate that little jewel of info, because I was previously unaware that there was any residual forces acting on the front shaft output when the selector was in 2WD.

Looks like the case is coming out. I believe I've got an extra 231 around here to swap in and just put this one on a worktable to open up one day.

From what I gather from other post, this seems to be exactly "that" season. :0

Back