• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please HELP transfer case trouble

XJ Scot

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 00 XJ with a 231 transfer case. I installed a Tom Woods rear shaft and slip yoke eliminator. When I closed it up I had a small drip from not doing a good job with the RTV.Recently I heard a clicking sound coming from my transfer case when I spun the front wheels. I checked and added some fluid and the clicking sound stopped.(I apolagize for my lack of maintainence)

Now 2 weeks later I go to use 4wheel drive and hear a loud clunk sound as it tries to engage. I move a couple feet and hear it again. I put it back into 2wheel and procede fine.

If anyone can give me a clue as to what to look for, where and what parts to get.I don't want to tear it apart then have to wait for parts to come in.

Last resort ,Take it to the shop.

Can anyone help a rookie.

Thanks

I would *guess* at a minimum, bearings as well as a seal kit.

IMO, strong possibility of drive gears, minor possibility of chain.

On trannies and TC's, nobody can know what's going to be bad 'til they open it.

Best bet: Check with NAPA for availability of all possible parts, including shift forks and reduction gears. Hopefully they can have stuff within a couple days from date of ordering.

Rental compact at $30 day for two days waiting sure beats buying $150 of parts you prolly won't need.

Alternative: Get a junkyard '00 231 with a 30 day warranty, maybe $300(?).
Then repair and sell your TC.

First step: Get an estimate from a reputable shop, both lo and hi possible prices; and get a commitment from them on time to do the work.

How much sealant did you use? If you used a lot,I'll bet it got in there and clogged the pump screen,and stopped the oil flow to the t-case bearings. The correct way to seal two *machined* mating surfaces is to clean them both thoroughly,then apply a *small* amount on one surface with a small brush,or you finger,or whatever you have handy. You aren't trying to fill the Grand Canyon,so it only takes a little to seal it up right,not the whole tube. Tear it apart and check the screen to see if it's clogged. If it is,the above post will point you in the right direction.:D Sorry to sound blunt,I'm really an OK guy:D :D

not to hijack the thread here. but since we're on the subject.....
does anyone have any experience with the front T-case output? Does it have a bearing inside that can go bad? I have a high pitched whine after I get everything warmed up. I yanked the front DS and it went away, so my best guess is that its the front T-case output. TIA.

Back