• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ice Racing

Jamie57

NAXJA Forum User
Not all of us can live in Sunny California so for the rest of us who live in the Great White North we have something called Ice Racing.
My friend and I went to see some recently and were surprised that no one was running a Jeep of any kind. Lots of AWD cars even something called a Justy. Little 3 cylinder AWD car. Even some BMW 350is and a 500 series sedan. An AMC Eagle Talon was eating up the course. Lots of fun. Reminded me mostly of Dirt Track Racing.
So we got it in our sick little minds that for the 2016 season we'd run a Cherokee.
Today of course he broke his 99 Cherokee again. so we may be using his "Stacy for next year. He has a line on a 2001 5 speed Cherokee to replace it with.

Anyways to the question. Anyone else done this? I know we are going to have to lower the suspension instead of raise it. I have mostly thought everything through regarding that but I know there is a wealth of experience out there that I'd like to tap into.

Going to be using a 99 4dr 4.0L Auto Cherokee from Florida so rust issues won't be a problem. Has the 231 transfer case in it already. A 2000 8.25 3:55 rear axle and a 98 D30 also 3:55
Not looking into changing the gear ratios at this time. May go to 14 inch wheels to get any gearing advantage but you never know.

So any ideas out there? or am I Hasta?

Sounds like fun and a whole lot safer than ice racing on motorcycles we did in the early 70's.

You might need to go to a low pinion 30 front to clear the exhaust if you're planning on lowering it.

There's really not a lot of room to go down on the 4x4's and keep usable suspension travel. Is this a pretty smooth course or does it have fun bumps?

Don't need 14" wheels, just lower pro tires.

You might need to go to a low pinion 30 front to clear the exhaust if you're planning on lowering it.

There's really not a lot of room to go down on the 4x4's and keep usable suspension travel. Is this a pretty smooth course or does it have fun bumps?

Hmmm Low pinion D30. I know just where one is. Under my 00 XJ with the 4.5" lift.

The course is smooth. Think flat dirt track.
Can I post a link to the racing site here?

My thoughts would be LSD rear and swap the 231 for a 242 to get the full advantage of a awd system for the xj

I've got a spare 242 but using it in 4WD High is like an open differential. It'll put power to the axle that spins easiest.
At least with 231 both axles are getting 50% all the time and with locked axles would be a huge advantage over the AWD cars

Unless I'm completely wrong on this but this is how I've come to understand the differences between the 2 transfer cases.

Thanks though! Keep them coming.
Lots of time before January 2016.

I don't see any point in lowering it. You're not pulling any G's out on the ice. A friend of mine does quite well ice racing his XJ with a 3" lift, rear locker and 245/70R16 studded snow tires. His biggest advantage is experience. Seat time and practice will be your cheapest mod.

I've got a spare 242 but using it in 4WD High is like an open differential. It'll put power to the axle that spins easiest.
At least with 231 both axles are getting 50% all the time and with locked axles would be a huge advantage over the AWD cars

Unless I'm completely wrong on this but this is how I've come to understand the differences between the 2 transfer cases.

Thanks though! Keep them coming.
Lots of time before January 2016.
You're thinking of the 4hi-full-time position. You just put the 242 in 4hi part-time and both ends are locked same as the 231.

The only advantage of a 231 over a 242 is the 231 is rated at a slightly higher torque. But I think it's a very small amount and in practical situations might be negligible. Oh and little to no aftermarket upgrade options for the 242.

Last edited:
You're thinking of the 4hi-full-time position. You just put the 242 in 4hi part-time and both ends are locked same as the 231.

Are you sure about that?
This is what the Jeep Forum says about the NV242.
Notice the part about the differential in the transfer case.

"The NV242 provides full time 2-wheel, or 4-wheel drive operation. A differential in the transfer case is used to control torque transfer to the front and rear axles. A low range gear provides increased low speed torque capability for off road operation. The low range provides a 2.72:1 reduction ratio
The 2WD and 4X4 full time ranges can be used at any time and on any road surface. The 4x4 part-time and 4 Lo ranges are for off road use only. The only time these ranges can be used on hard surface roads, is when the surface is covered with snow and ice."

This has been my experience having owned both types of transfer case.

I don't see any point in lowering it. You're not pulling any G's out on the ice. A friend of mine does quite well ice racing his XJ with a 3" lift, rear locker and 245/70R16 studded snow tires. His biggest advantage is experience. Seat time and practice will be your cheapest mod.

I worry about roll overs mostly. been in too many and this old body can't handle too many more.
Having a LCOG will help with that. Plus any lowering mods should be pretty cheap so why not?
I've got seat time having raced stock cars in my youth but practice is hard to come by in the summer. No frozen lakes! LOL. Anyone know of a dirt track left in Ontario?

sunny California here to say that this sounds pretty rad man! hope to see some pics when it comes around. i would just cut the springs and no idea about the leafs in the rear, maybe flip em. but making fake drift courses in the ice up in our mountains I've never had a issue with flipping mine on a 3 inch lift and 31' tires. sounds solid to me good luck!

Are you sure about that?
This is what the Jeep Forum says about the NV242.
Notice the part about the differential in the transfer case.

"The NV242 provides full time 2-wheel, or 4-wheel drive operation. A differential in the transfer case is used to control torque transfer to the front and rear axles. A low range gear provides increased low speed torque capability for off road operation. The low range provides a 2.72:1 reduction ratio
The 2WD and 4X4 full time ranges can be used at any time and on any road surface. The 4x4 part-time and 4 Lo ranges are for off road use only. The only time these ranges can be used on hard surface roads, is when the surface is covered with snow and ice."

This has been my experience having owned both types of transfer case.
Yes I'm sure. The differential is operational in full-time. It's completely locked up in part-time hi or lo position.

Back